Imps 3 Charlton Athletic 1

Goals from Hakeeb Adelakun and Sean Roughan helped City come from behind against Charlton Athletic to secure back-to-back wins in Sky Bet League One.

Charlton had the first chance of the evening in the fifth minute as Corey Blackett-Taylor picked up the ball on the left before floating a delivery to Alfie May in the centre whose header bounced comfortably wide.

It was the visitors who struck first five minutes later after Scott Fraser found the run of Tyreece Campbell who sent a driven cross from the byline towards May in the middle who bundled home from a few yards out.

City then enjoyed a spell of possession themselves, which saw Hakeeb Adelakun’s long throw eventually drop for Lasse Sorensen who brought it down before forcing a diving save from Ashley Maynard-Brewer.

Adelakun’s long throw caused more issues for Michael Appleton’s side a few moments later as the ball came to Sorensen again whose driven effort, which looked to be going in, was blocked by Sean Roughan who couldn’t get out of the way in time.

The Imps levelled the score in the 33rd minute after Jack Burroughs' accurate cross towards the middle was met by Adelakun who outmuscled his defender to create an opportunity to blast the ball into the back of the net.

City took confidence from this equaliser and went close to taking the lead a few minutes later as some neat build up play culminated in Ethan Erhahon’s cross going all the way through to Jack Burroughs at the back post who skied his shot.

Sorensen continued to threaten down the right and could’ve put his side in front after he chased a ball in behind the defence to send an angled shot into the goalie before putting the rebound just wide of the far post.

The Imps started the second half on the front foot, with Sorensen having another chance after Adelakun floated a ball over for the Dane to volley goalwards and force a reaction save from the keeper.

The pair combined again in the 57th minute to put City ahead as Sorensen was found after making a darting run down the right before picking out Adelakun with a low cross into the centre for the frontman to tap home. 

Sorensen kept threatening and used his pace to get in behind the defence once more after Smith sent a ball over the top, although the Dane was denied again by Maynard-Brewer in the Charlton goal.

Sorensen didn’t let these missed chances affect him and went on a mazy run before bending a right-footed shot at goal which was parried into the path of Burroughs who fired just wide.

City continued to assert themselves and finally added a third through Sean Roughan as Jack Vale’s deflected through ball came to the Irishman who calmly slotted low past the goalie to put the game out of sight.

Imps: Lukas Jensen, Lasse Sorensen (TJ Eyoma 89'), Adam Jackson, Ethan Erhahon, Ali Smith (Dylan Duffy 79’), Ethan Hamilton, Paudie O’Connor ©, Jack Burroughs, Hakeeb Adelakun (Jack Vale 72’), Sean Roughan, Alex Mitchell. Subs (not used): Jordan Wright, Jaden Brown, Jovon Makama, Mide Shodipo.

Goals: Adelakun (33’, 57’), Roughan (78’).

Charlton: Ashley Maynard-Brewer, Lloyd Jones, Terrell Thomas, George Dobson ©, Michael Hector, Alfie May, Scott Fraser (Louie Watson 74’), Miles Leaburn (Panutche Camara 61’), Tyreece Campbell (Chem Campbell 74’), Corey Blackett-Taylor (Slobodan Tedic 84’), Nathan Asimwe. Subs (not used): Sam Walker, Lucas Ness, Tennai Watson.

Goals: May (10’).

Attendance: 7,314 (600 away).

Referee: Daniel Middleton.