Cheltenham Town 0 Imps 0

City extended their unbeaten run to 10 games but were made to settle for a goalless draw at Cheltenham Town on Tuesday evening.

The home side started the game strongly, winning two early corners, but City defended them well to keep the scores level.

City’s first real chance of the game arrived from a set piece in the 18th minute as former City full-back Sean Long brought down Ben House to pick up the first yellow card of the match.

The resulting free-kick was cleared and fell to Ted Bishop on the edge of the box but he saw his powerful shot well blocked.

Jack Diamond picked up an unfortunate booking as he slipped taking a shot at goal which took out Caleb Taylor.

City threatened with a quick counterattack as Diamond burst down the right hand side but his pull back was cleared by the Cheltenham defence.

Mide Shodipo broke forward and fired a shot over the bar on the half hour mark following a neat pass into midfield from Lasse Sorensen.

The first corner for City arrived in the 38th minute and it led to a goalmouth scramble but Cheltenham just about managed to deal with the danger.

As the half time whistle approached City almost took the lead as Luke Southwood did brilliantly to tip the ball wide of the post to prevent a certain own goal.

City started the second period well and they came close to taking the lead immediately after the break. A clever pass from Ethan Erhahon was threaded through to Ben House in the penalty area but he couldn’t quite guide his effort goalwards.

Ted Bishop came so close to netting the opener in the 55th minute as he lobbed the goalkeeper with a left footed shot from 30 yards but his effort bounced off the crossbar and behind.

Imps head coach Mark Kennedy made a double substitution on the hour mark as Mandriou and Vernam replaced Diamond and Shodipo in search of a winning goal.

The best chance of the game fell to Ben House in the 65th minute. Lasse Sorensen’s crisp through ball was latched onto by the City centre forward but he dragged his shot wide after cutting in on his left foot.

The visitors were boosted by the return of Matty Virtue following his spell on the sidelines with a hamstring injury as he replaced Ted Bishop.

Carl Rushworth was called into action in the latter stages as he got down well to save a long-range effort from Ryan Broom.

Both sides pushed hard to try and find that winning goal but were left to settle for a point apiece.  

Cheltenham: Luke Southwood, Sean Long ©, Tom Bradbury, Alfie May, Caleb Taylor, Will Ferry, Ryan Jackson, Elliot Bonds, Aiden Keena (Charlie Brown 78’), Ryan Broom, Glen Rea (Liam Sercombe 76’). Subs (not used): Shaun MacDonald, Ben Williams, Taylor Perry, Christian Norton, James Olayinka.

City: Carl Rushworth, Regan Poole ©, Harry Boyes, Lewis Montsma, Ted Bishop (Matty Virtue 71’), Mide Shodipo (Charles Vernam 60’), Ethan Erhahon (Max Sanders 83’), Paudie O’Connor, Ben House, Lasse Sorensen, Jack Diamond (Danny Mandriou 60’). Subs (not used): Jordan Wright.

Referee: Darren Handley.

Attendance: 3,385 (255 visitors).