Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Imps 0 Rotherham United 3

29 July 2023

Sponsored by

City fell short in their final game of pre-season to Sky Bet Championship opposition in Rotherham United, but there were plenty of positives to take from the performance with a large majority of the starting XI  getting 90 minutes.

Rotherham got the game underway and soon had a chance to get into the lead. A header from Jordan Hugill struck the post, but the Imps managed to clear the danger.

The first chance for City came through Ben House, with moves starting with Reeco Hackett on the edge of the area. The summer signing found Danny Mandroiu, who played a clever reverse ball to put House in on goal, but the Rotherham keeper was equal to it with a smart save.

Chances were limited inside the first thirty minutes, but Rotherham found themselves in on goal, however a superb challenge from Sean Roughan prevented Georgie Kelly from getting effort away.

Rotherham took the lead just before the half-time break, with Oliver Rathbone curling in his effort from the edge of the area after a one-two with Kelly.

At half-time Tyler Walker was subbed on for the Imps, much to the delight of the City support, and was involved straight away down the left-hand side after getting in behind the Rotherham defence. The forward put in a dangerous ball that found Lasse Sorensen which the Dane struck well, but it was wide of the mark.

Rotherham doubled their lead just a few minutes later through Cafu’s free-kick which he curled into the top corner.

The visitors won a penalty minutes after their second, with Jaden Brown deemed to have committed a handball, as they continued to put the pressure on the Imps’ defence. Hugill stepped up to take, but Lukas Jensen was equal to it, making a good save down low to his right.

Rotherham added a third with thirty minutes to go. Fred Onyedinma and Cameron Humphreys linked up well before putting a cross into the box for Hugill to tap home from close range.

The Imps had half a chance going into the final ten minutes. Mandroiu and Roughan linked up well on the left-hand side, with the latter putting in a ball towards Walker, but the striker couldn’t get the vital touch, even with the keeper failing to catch the cross.

The last chance of the game came through Dylan Duffy who, fresh off the bench, placed his effort wide of the mark from range.

CITY: Jensen, Sorensen, Brown (Eyoma 66’) , Jackson, Erhahon, Hackett (Walker 45’), Smith, Mandroiu, O’Connor, House (Duffy 84’), Roughan

ROTHERHAM: Johansson, Bramall, Cafu, Wiles, Hugill, Kelly (Kanode 65’), Onyedinma (Lembikisa 61’), Rathbone (Odoffin 84’), Hall (Morrison 36’), Peltier (McCart 65’), Humphreys

Attendance: 2,535 (465)

Referee: Darren Drysdale.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account