Wycombe Wanderers Imps

The Imps extended their unbeaten run to six matches with a controlled 2-0 victory at Wycombe Wanderers.

City made a fast start and went ahead in the seventh minute as Regan Poole played a long ball over the top of Wycombe’s defence for Dylan Duffy to run in behind and flick his header into the bottom corner.

The Imps were almost caught out a few minutes later after Gareth McCleary stole possession from Carl Rushworth before laying it off to Nick Freeman whose driven effort was initally fumbled before being pounced on by the City stopper.

Wycombe looked to find their way back into the contest in the 18th minute as Lewis Wing stood up a first-time cross towards Sam Vokes at the back post who couldn't generate enough power to trouble Rushworth.

The Chairboys created a similar opportunity again in the 35th minute as Freeman swung in a cross from the left for Vokes to rise up above the defenders and nod narrowly wide of the mark.

Mark Kennedy’s side almost doubled their lead at the end of the first-half as Lasse Sorensen pulled the ball back to Harry Boyes in the centre who bent his effort narrowly wide of the left post.

City should’ve made it two with the last action of the half when Shodipo’s low cross front the left made it all the way through to Regan Poole at the back post who planted his shot just wide of the target. 

Wycombe enjoyed slightly more possession in the opening 15 minutes of the second half and went close to levelling as Ryan Tafazolli laid the ball off to Wing on the edge of the box who almost found the top corner.

Matt Bloomfield’s men aimed to build some momentum from this and had another two chances just minutes later as Wing’s looping effort was tipped over before McCleary’s close-range shot was pounced on by Rushworth on the goalline.

The Imps put the game out of sight with one of the goals of the season after Sorensen took down Max Stryjek’s poor free-kick and launched the ball back over the goalkeeper and into the empty net from inside his own half to stun the Adams Park crowd.

Shodipo went close to adding a third in the 85th minute when he drove into the Wycombe box before forcing a diving save from Stryjek, with Jovon Makama just in the wrong position to turn the rebound home.

Wycombe: Max Stryjek, Jack Grimmer (Jordan Willis 43’), Joe Jacobson ©, Ryan Tafazolli, David Wheeler (Brandon Hanlan 72’), Sam Vokes, Lewis Wing (Tjay De Barr 90+2'), Gareth McCleary, Nick Freeman (Chem Campbell 56’), Jason McCarthy, Josh Scowen (Dominic Gape 90+2'). Subs (not used): Harvey Cartwright, Jack Wakely.

City: Carl Rushworth, Regan Poole ©, Harry Boyes, Luke Plange (Jovon Makama 81’), Mide Shodipo, Ethan Erhahon, Paudie O’Connor, Lasse Sorensen, Sean Roughan, Matty Virtue, Dylan Duffy (TJ Eyoma 76’). Subs (not used): Sam Long, Morgan Worsfold-Gregg, Oisin Gallagher, Bailey Adamson, Julian Donnery.

Goals: Duffy (7’), Sorensen (72’).

Attendance: 5,062 (405 away).

Referee: Anthony Backhouse.