Imps 0 Barnsley 0

The Imps extended their unbeaten run to five games with a hard-fought draw against Barnsley.

Dylan Duffy proved to be a threat for City in the early stages as his inviting ball across the face of goal was soon followed by a rifled effort from the edge of the box which flew wide of the post.

The two sides continued to battle for a foothold in the minutes that followed this, with James Norwood’s header wide the next best chance either side went to breaking the deadlock. 

The visitors had a big chance to take the lead in the 32nd minute as Paudie O’Connor’s poor clearance from a cross fell to Herbie Kane in space who fired over the crossbar from a central position.

Barnsley looked to test City’s resilience once more after minute 37 as Luca Connell’s initial shot rebounded back to him to fire a deflected effort over the bar.

The Imps had a chance of their own just before the break as Harry Boyes’ corner was met by O’Connor whose towering header across goal bounced off the underside of the bar before the follow up was sent over by Lasse Sorensen.

Michael Duff’s side came out fired up for the start of the second half, with Adam Phillips working a shooting opportunity for himself inside the box which was bravely blocked behind Adam Jackson.

Connell’s low free-kick into the middle then caused all sorts of issues for the Imps who were scrambling around the goalline before Jordan Wright eventually pounced on the loose ball.

The Imps stood firm to the pressure that followed, with the back five confidently dealing with the dangerous crosses that were sent into the box.

Mark Kennedy’s men almost won it in injury time as Boyes’ curling free-kick dropped to Regan Poole at the back post who couldn’t make contact to turn it home.

City: Jordan Wright, Regan Poole, Harry Boyes, Adam Jackson, Luke Plange (Jovon Makama 90+1’), Mide Shodipo (Sean Roughan 70’), Ethan Erhahon, Paudie O’Connor, Lasse Sorensen, Matty Virtue, Dylan Duffy (Tashan Oakley-Boothe 70’). Subs (not used): Sam Long, Max Sanders, TJ Eyoma.

Barnsley: Harry Isted, Jordan Williams, Liam Kitching, Mads Andersen ©, Herbie Kane (Luke Thomas 67’), James Norwood (Slobodan Tedic 67’), Bobby Thomas, Ziyad Larkeche (Josh Benson 81’), Adam Phillips, Devante Cole (Max Watters 67’), Luca Connell. Subs (not used): Brad Collins, Jon Russell, Robbie Cundy.

Referee: Simon Mather.

Attendance: 8,715 (1,706 away).