Imps 1 Wycombe Wanderers 1

The Imps had to settle for a point despite a battling performance against Wycombe Wanderers.

Liam Cullen’s early strike fired City into the lead after a well-worked routine from a corner, but Chris Forino’s late header rescued a point for the visitors at the LNER Stadium.

City started strong as Chris Maguire’s fifth-minute corner picked out Anthony Scully at the near post, he skilfully flicked the ball back to Cullen who slotted it into a bottom corner to give the Imps an early lead.

Maguire looked to double City’s lead in the 13th minute with an optimistic effort from the halfway line that forced Wycombe keeper David Stockdale to palm it wide for a corner. The corner was taken quickly but cleared swiftly by the visitors.

Wycombe midfielder Josh Scowen was the first to be booked by the referee after bringing down John Marquis who was bursting down the left in the 20th minute.

After a quiet middle period in the half, Wycombe’s Lewis Wing produced a half volley from 20 yards out, but it failed to trouble Josh Griffiths as he watched it run wide of a post.

Both teams had chances in the two minutes of stoppage time. Sam Vokes’ acrobatic effort was cleared by Scully at the back post. Brooke Norton-Cuffy then picked up the ball at the halfway line and skipped past the Wycombe defence but could not quite get his shot away.

The Chairboys tested the home side’s backline late on in the half, but it was the Imps who went into the break with a one goal advantage.

Jack Grimmer pulled the trigger from long range just three minutes into the second half and his effort was not too far over the crossbar.

City quickly answered back as Norton-Cuffy utilised his pace down the right hand side, carrying the ball all the way to the touchline. His ball across found Marquis at the near post who cleverly flicked it towards goal but Stockton saved it well.

The Imps threatened once again as Max Sanders was played through on goal in the 60th minute. His shot was saved by Stockton into the feet of Maguire whose shot travelled wide.

The next player to be booked was Cohen Bramall after a mis-timed challenge on Scowen minutes later. Wycombe manager Gareth Ainsworth reacted with two substitutions, Brandon Hanlan and David Wheeler replacing Lewis Wing and Garath McCleary.

Wycombe earned their first corner of the match in the 77th minute. The ball was crossed into a crowded penalty area, saved by Griffiths onto Chris Forino’s head and sailed over the cross bar from a few yards out. Daryl Horgan then replaced Jason McCarthy.

Forino had another chance with his head in the 85th minute but this time he directed it confidently into a bottom corner to level the score.

Michael Appleton looked to bolster his attack and find a winner bringing on Morgan Whittaker for Scully and later Ben House for Cullen.

A Wycombe free-kick in the 91st minute picked out Vokes whose header was impressively saved by an outstretched Griffiths to force a corner.

Scowen was sent off minutes later by referee Ollie Yates after picking up his second yellow card of the match.

Despite five minutes of stoppage time, neither side could find a winner on a windy afternoon at the LNER Stadium.

Attendance: 8,319 (515 away)