Imps 0 Doncaster Rovers 1

The Imps suffered a frustrating 1-0 defeat at the hands of Doncaster Rovers. A Dan Gardner penalty secured the three points in a game where Lincoln dominated the ball and had plenty of chances.

The opening minutes gave an indication of how the first half would play out. The Imps were confident in their passing, playing mostly in the middle third but keeping Doncaster out of the game.

Early on, the Doncaster keeper was inches away from scoring an own goal, giving away a corner. Unfortunately for the Imps, it didn’t result in anything.

Johnny Mitchell in the Rovers goal was tested again shortly after, making a fingertip save leading to another corner. The Imps continued to press, earning corner after corner, but they failed to capitalise on their chances.

In the 35th minute, a corner found Regan Poole’s head at the back post. Mitchell saved his attempt, but the rebound bounced across the goalmouth. Joe Walsh had the final headed attempt before the Rovers’ defence cleared the ball.

Brooke Norton-Cuffy was almost unstoppable on the right from the start. Late in the first half he made an incredible individual run, weaving through the defence before making a pinpoint cross to Maguire in the centre of the box. He sent the ball over and gave Mitchell a goal kick.

The first real attempt for Rovers came moments before the half time whistle blew. Ben Jackson was on the 18-yard line when he took a shot, but it went high over the bar.

Half time 0-0.

Early in the half, Liam Cullen made a great run and smooth cross but there was no one else in the box to receive it.

The second half continued much the same. Rovers got their first corner in the 61s minute, but much like the Imps’ attempts, it resulted in nothing.

In the 63rd minute, Norton-Cuffy made another tenacious run down the right wing and into the centre of the box. His in swinging shot went inches wide of the post. 

Play stopped around the hour mark for a medical emergency in the Lincolnshire Co-op Stand and the teams went indoors before coming back out for a warm up. Thankfully the individual was concious and breathing as they left the stadium following exceptional work from the medical staff from Lincoln City and Doncaster Rovers. 25 minutes later, the game resumed.

Not longer after, they were back on the pitch. Rovers were awarded a penalty for a Joe Walsh handball and in the 75th minute, Dan Gardner stepped up to the spot and sent a powerful shot past Josh Griffiths. In the 83rd minute, Walsh received a second yellow card for a foul in the Doncaster penalty area. The Imps tried to salvage a point late on, but the away team held on for the win. 

Full time 0-1.

Attendance: 9,237 (1,035)

For full match stats, line-ups, on the day results and league table check out our match centre.