Portsmouth 0 Imps 0

City battled to a hard-earned point at Portsmouth to extend their unbeaten start to the season.

And they almost claimed all three points as Adam Jackson went close from a late corner.

Mark Kennedy made one change, with Ted Bishop elevated to the starting XI to replace Anthony Scully.

City did a good job of quietening the impressive home support in the early stages, with few real dangers in the opening period as Carl Rushworth came out quickly to claim a right-wing cross from Reeco Hackett in the third-minute and Joe Piggott’s through ball looking for Colby Bishop coming to nothing.

The visitors threatened first after seven minutes when Hakeeb Adelakun found Ted Bishop with a cross from the right. The latter got a foot on it but it looped up safely into the hands of Josh Griffiths without troubling his former Imps team-mate.

The next best chances fell to the home side, with a snapshot from Michael Jacobs after 19 minutes no test for Rushworth as it was straight at him.

Michael Morrison headed over for Pompey a few minutes following a corner conceded by Regan Poole’e crucial interception from Michael Jacob’s left-wing cross.

City enjoyed more controlled possession in the second part of the opening half, with a Tashan Oakley-Boothe cross from the left almost finding Adelakun - his run was smartly blocked by a Pompey defender.

A Sanders ball down the right foundTom Hopper but the Imps captain was squeezed out as he looked to cross into the area where he had a number of team-mates running into the area.

Sanders won City’s second corner of the game after 32 minutes after a good run, his delivery was only cleared as far as Adelakun whose powerful volley was blocked.

Space then opened up invitingly for Lasse Sorensen to try a shot from outside the area, but his effort was blocked.

The home side had been kept quiet for a long period but had their two best chances of the game so far just before the break.

The first came after 41 minutes when Sanders earned himself a booking by stopping a Jacobs attack with a foul. It was centrally placed but a good 30 yards and it would have taken something special to beat Rushworth - Pigott aimed for the bottom-right corner but the Imps keeper was over quickly and competently to collect.

And moments later an even better chance fell to Reeco Hackett as he connected with a cross from the left, with Poole dramatically blocking his shot. The ball bounced back and Hackett tried a spectacular overhead kick, but the ball ended up in the stands.

The last chance of the half did go the way of City, as Paudie O’Connor got on the end of a deep cross from Sanders but his headed effort went behind.

There were no changes at the break and the first half-chance after the restart was again for City as Hopper almost closed down Griffiths, then challenged Sean Raggett in a committed 50:50 challenge - the ball just did not fall for the Imps captain.

Another opportunity followed five minutes later as Sanders sent Bishop away. A Rafferty interception sent him wide, and when the ball was eventually sent into the area by Robson it was claimed by Griffiths.

Pompey’s main threat was coming from long throws, with Connor Ogilvie from the left and Marlon Pack from the right taking any opportunity to launch the ball into the area.

A Robson cross after 59 minutes was looking for Hopper, but was too far in front of him.

Pompey boss Danny Cowley made a double change on the hour mark as he looked to try and get some impetus back into the game for his side, with Dane Scarlett and Ronan Curtis replacing Pigott and Hackett respectively.

City had looked comfortable until this point, but with the home fans again making some noise Morrison sent a header wide after a corner conceded by Eyoma.

And moments later Rafferty sent a powerful low effort wide after a free-kick from the right was initially cleared.

Kennedy’s first change of the game was an enforced one, with Chris Maguire coming on to replace the injured Bishop after 72 minutes.

Five minutes later there was another enforced change, with Adelakun limping off. Adam Jackson came on, with a change in formation to play with a back three and wing-backs.

Jackson almost made an immediate impact, with his first touch of the ball being to win a header at a corner which went narrowly wide.

Pompey enjoyed most of the possession in the closing stages, but could not carve out any clear chances and in the end headed back north with a richly-deserved point.

Attendance: 17,855 (481 away)

For full match stats, including on the day results and a league table, head to our match centre.