Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Barnsley 0 Imps 3

30 August 2022

Match Reports

Barnsley 0 Imps 3

30 August 2022

Sponsored by

City headed to the top of Northern Group E with a controlled victory over Barnsley, thanks to a double from Ted Bishop and Jovon Makama's first competitive goal for the Imps.

Another first half brace from Bishop set the tone for City against a Tykes who played with 10 men for the best part of 70 minutes.

The Imps got the game underway, but it was the hosts who created the first opening after three minutes when Clarke Oduor tried to find Herbie Kane on the penalty spot with his cutback, but the under-hit delivery allowed Paudie O’Connor to clear the danger.

Oduor was soon involved again, firing a dangerous cross low into the City area.

The threat was short lived however, with the ball being cleared into the path of City debutant Jack Diamond, who drove into the Barnsley half before being dragged down by Jasper Moon, resulting in the first yellow card of the game.

Diamond was again involved soon after, playing a big part in City’s opener after 15 minutes.

The winger collected the ball on the half-way line, driving inside the pitch before releasing Charles Vernam down the right. Vernam’s cross was inch perfect into the path of Bishop who arrived into the box late to convert from close range.

After netting a brace against Fleetwood Town on Saturday, the midfielder was quick to repeat the feat as he doubled City’s lead two minutes later.

Jack Walton came racing off his line to clear a back pass, but in doing so passed straight to the feet of Bishop who stroked the ball into an empty net from midway inside the Barnsley half.

City’s evening then received another boost, as Barnsley were left with t10 men after referee Martin Woods showed James Norwood a straight red card for elbowing Jay Benn.

City continued to search for more goals, with Vernam the next to try his luck. The curling effort, however, was met by an outstretched Walton to tip the strike over the bar.

City made one change at the break with Regan Poole replacing Joe Walsh as part of the latter's phased return to the side following a lengthy injury spell.

Diamond continued to shine in the second half, causing a number of problems for the Barnsley defence.

The winger regularly used his pace and some neat footwork to get to the byline and deliver dangerously into the hosts’ area, including a cross which found Bishop who was denied his hat-trick by a widely spread Walton who smothered the midfielder’s effort.

City had complete control of the game, with Mark Kennedy taking advantage to send Makama, Oisin Gallagter, TJ Eyoma and Anthony Scully into the fray.

And Makama marked the occasion by turning home his first senior goal for the club, with a smart first-time finish from Jamie Robson's cross after a smart move involving O'Connor and Scully.

City: Jordan Wright, Charles Vernam, Tashan Oakley-Boothe (Jovon Makama 76’), Ted Bishop, Paudie O’Connor, Joe Walsh © (Regan Poole 46’), Jamie Robson, Ben House (Oisin Gallagher 89'), Jay Benn (TJ Eyoma 76’), Lasse Sorensen, Jack Diamond (Anthony Scully 76’).

Subs (not used): Carl Rushworth, Sean Roughan

Goals: Bishop (15’, 17’), Makama (90+3')

Barnsley: Jack Walton ©, Herbie Kane (Joe Ackroyd 32’), James Norwood, Jasper Moon, Aiden Marsh, Conor McCarthy, Clarke Oduor (Hayden Pickard 62’), Will Hondermarck, Robbie Cundy, Slobodan Tedic, Matty Wolfe (Harrison Nejman 62’). 

Subs (not used): Brad Collins, Will Lancaster, Fabio Jalo, Daniel Benson.

Attendance: TBC

Referee: Martin Woods

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account