Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match report: Gillingham 1 Imps 1

7 August 2021

Club News

Match report: Gillingham 1 Imps 1

7 August 2021

Sponsored by

Tayo Edun’s early strike ensured the Imps opened the season with a point after a closely-contested game at Gillingham.

The Imps struck early through a good move from the left which saw Anthony Scully draw a save from Jamie Cumming, but the home keeper could not hold the shot and Edun was on hand to fire home.

There were chances for the visitors to double their advantage, with Scully lifting an effort over from the right after 20 minutes and Conor McGrandles having an effort saved six minutes later.

The home side went close to an equaliser after 29 minutes when Vadaine Oliver looped an header over Josh Griffiths which clipped back off the woodwork. Griffiths was out quickly to block Max Ehmer’s powerful shot.

It was an open game at this point, with Olly Lee seeing a shot deflected wide and Griffiths needing to be alert to block a shot from Oliver with his legs.

The home side did draw level just before the break. A Kyle Dempsey free-kick from just outside the area resulted in a goalmouth scramble and Oliver turned the ball home.

There were no changes from either side at the break, with Edun registering the first shot on target

Edun had the first chance of the second period, firing wide with a low shot, while only a great block from David Tutonda denied Scully a few moments later following a good move down the left.

The home side had opportunities, too, as Oliver sent snapshot wide after 59 minutes and, a few minutes later, Danny Lloyd tried to catch Grifiths out at the near post without any luck. Griffiths again had to make himself big to deny the dangerous Oliver.

A set-piece move straight off the training ground almost paid real dividends for the Imps after 69 minutes after Tutonda blocked a cross with a hand - earning himself a booking in the process.

With everyone congregated in the area, Scully’s pull-back found McGrandles who lifted an effort just over the bar.

Mustagha Carayol, off the bench for the home side, sent an effort wide of the near post after 72 minutes.

Michael Appleton sent on Hakeeb Adelakun then Ted Bishops for their Imps bows as he sought a winner, with Bramall then Sorensen the men to make way.

The best chance came in the 89th minute when a ball from the left found its way all the way through to Regan Poole on the right - his powerful shot was well held by Cumming.

A stoppage-time counter-attack saw Adelakun and Tom Hopper link up well, with the latter seeing his final effort blocked.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account