201215 STFC Match Report

The Imps fell to a narrow defeat against Shrewsbury Town as the visitors nicked a 1-0 win at LNER Stadium. Despite the defeat, City still sit 4th in the table following a positive start to the season.

Michael Appleton made two changes to the side that faced Sunderland on Saturday as Remy Howarth was given his first league start of the season. Anthony Scully also started in place of Harry Anderson in the other City change. 

The home side had the lions share of possession and created numerous opportunities, but Shrewsbury defended well and held on for the three points.

City started on the front foot and Tom Hopper almost took advantage of a short back pass in the 10th minute, but he was inches away from getting a foot to the ball as Sarkic hurriedly cleared his lines.

Brennan Johnson looked lively early on and the Welsh international got the better of his man on a number of occasions, but he couldn’t find the final ball as City pressed for the opener.

Chances were few and far between in the first half, but the Imps were certainly threatening going forward. Smart intricate play between Scully and Hopper led to a good crossing opportunity but Sean Goss was on hand to clear for the Shrews.

The Imps were starting to gain a foothold in the match and drawing fouls from the opposition in dangerous areas as the game heated up, but it was the visitors who opened the scoring against the run of play in the 38th minute. 

Shaun Whalley capitalised on a mix up in the City defence as he found himself in space on the edge of the 18 yard box, before calmly slotting the ball past Alex Palmer in their only chance of the first half.   

City continued to press for an equaliser as half time approached and it almost arrived through our Dutch centre half. Lewis Monstma found space in the six-yard box but saw his effort blocked on the goal line as Shrewsbury held on to half time. 


Half Time

Lincoln City 0-1 Shrewsbury Town


City started the second half much stronger and proceeded to cause the away side problems by forcing them back towards their own goal as the away side sat deep. James Jones whipped in an excellent delivery to the six-yard box, but Johnson could only volley the ball over.  

The home side continued to press and were inches away from a leveller as the ball fell to Remy Howarth on the edge of the box, but his volley agonisingly bounced off the post and Shrewsbury cleared.

The chances were still arriving for City as Brennan Johnson took a shot from a tight angle, but his effort struck the side netting.

An excellent one-two between Scully and Jones led to an opening on the edge of the D, but Remy Howarth’s attempt on goal was deflected behind for a corner.

Shrewsbury threatened on the break in the 75th minute in a rare attack as Shaun Whalley cut in from the left, but his right footed curling effort fell a yard wide of the post.

The Imps then had a strong penalty appeal turned down as Lewis Montsma appeared to be tripped in the box following a corner, but the referee waved away the strong appeals from the City players much to the frustration of the City bench.

City continued to probe for an equaliser but couldn’t find the finishing touch in a frustrating evening as the away side held on to nick a 1-0 victory.



1. Alex Palmer

4. Lewis Montsma

7. Tayo Edun

8. James Jones

9. Tom Hopper

10. Jorge Grant

11. Anthony Scully

16. Joe Walsh

17. Remy Howarth

20. Brennan Johnson

22. TJ Eyoma (Anderson 78')



31. Sam Long

3. Max Melbourne

24. Robbie Gotts

25. Zack Elbouzedi

26. Harry Anderson

30. Sean Roughan


Booked - Jones 45'


Shrewsbury Town

31. Matija Sarkic

2. Aaron Pierre

5. Ro-Shaun Williams

6. Sean Goss (Edwards 75')

7. Shaun Whalley (Cummings 86')

8. Ollie Norburn

10. Josh Vela 

14. Matt Millar

15. Charlie Daniels

23. Daniel Udoh (Daniels 80')

24. Ethan Ebanks-Landell


Booked - Whalley 45'

Goal - Whalley 28'



1. Harry Burgoyne

3. Scott Golbourne

4. David Edwards

20. Shilow Tracey

22. Josh Daniels

27. Marc Pugh

35. Jason Cummings


Referee - Craig Hicks

Asst Referees - Marc Wilson & Anthony Da Costa

Fourth Official - Andrew Dallison