180821 Match Report Bury

The Imps came from a goal down to win 2-1 after an excellent second half performance under the floodlights v Bury this evening. City made 5 changes from Saturday’s trip to Blundell Park and this match turned out to be a game of two halves.

The game started slowly with neither team able to gain a foothold in the match. There was an early booking for Bury in the second minute after Will Aimson made a late challenge on Lee Frecklington.

Grant Smith, making his home league debut, claimed a difficult cross in the 4th minute after the away side won a free kick on the left.

Bury then pressed again after the ball broke to Stephen Dawson, he hit a shot from 25 yards which whistled past the post early on.

City did look dangerous on the counter with Matt Green being played in behind the Bury backline but a late challenge from O’Connell prevented him from pulling the trigger.

Bury responded with an attack of the own as Gold Omotayo fired a shot over City’s crossbar after some smart footwork from Neil Danns in midfield.

Then came City’s best spell of the first half as they almost scored with three consecutive set pieces. Toffolo forced a smart stop from Murphy as he curled a left footed free kick towards goal only for it to be tipped over by Murphy.

The following corner was delivered by Bruno Andrade and Jason Shackell rose highest in the Bury box to force an excellent save again as it was tipped behind.

The third set piece floated to the back post but Matt Rhead could only head his effort over the cross bar.

Bury weathered the storm and started to produce some chances of their own as they also threatened from set pieces. Adam Thompson was dominant in the air as his header was blocked on the line by Rhead. The ball was eventually cleared out for another corner which lead to the opening goal for Bury.

The ball broke to Eoghan O’Connell in the 31st minute and he made no mistake from close range firing the ball into the corner.

Half Time – Imps 0-1 Bury

City made one change at the interval as Harry Anderson was introduced in place of Ellis Chapman. The Imps started the second period brightly and on the front foot as the crowd really got behind the team.

Neal Eardley went in to the book early in the second half after a late challenge on Chris Stokes as Bury continued to counter attack following good spells of City possession.

Bury almost doubled their advantage in the 55th minute, Neil Danns made an excellent run down the right wing and pulled the ball back to Gold Omotayo who had his shot excellently blocked by a last ditch Eardley tackle which proved to be vital.

Harry Anderson made a great run down the right wing and floated a cross towards the box but Rhead couldn’t get enough power on his header and it was a simple stop for the Bury keeper.

Shay McCartan and John Akinde replaced Matt Rhead and Matt Green respectively in the 59th minute as City searched for an equaliser.

Grant Smith made a smart stop in the 66th minute as Gold Omotayo got a yard on his man but he couldn’t get enough power on his effort which comfortably saved.

The excellent Tom Pett almost equalised for the Imps in the 69th minute, he created space in the box as Eardley whipped a ball in but his header was well saved by Murphy who tipped it behind for a corner.

Pett then tried his luck again from 25 yards moments later but his low drive was deflected behind for another corner which was cleared.

The Imps began to dominate as the Sincil Bank crowd roared the team on in search of a leveler.

The Imps then won a penalty in the 73rd minute which proved to be the equaliser. The ball fell to Andrade on the edge of the 6 yard box and his goal bound shot struck Aimson’s arm in the Bury box. He picked up his second yellow of the game and was given his marching orders by the referee.

Akinde coolly levelled proceedings with the penalty in the 75th minute after sending Murphy the wrong way to net his 4th goal of the season.

City continued to press hard and eventually made their one man advantage count in the 82nd minute as Lee Frecklington scored what proved to be the winner.

Andrade pounced on a loose ball and the ball fell to Frecklington who calmly side stepped the defender before smashing the ball into an empty net.

Bury still threatened on occasions as Jay O’Shea had a shot from distance late on but his low attempt was well saved by Grant Smith who had a very solid game between the sticks.

7 minutes were added on at the end of the game which made for a tense final few moments but the Imps managed to hold on to pick up the vital three points.

Full Time

Lincoln City 2-1 Bury

Lincoln City

1 – Grant Smith

5 – Jason Shackell

7 – Tom Pett

8 – Lee Frecklington

9 – Matt Rhead (Akinde 58’)

10 – Matt Green (McCartan 59’)

11 – Bruno Andrade

12 – Ellis Chapman (Harry Anderson 45’)

14 – Harry Toffolo

16 – Michael Bostwick

23 – Neal Eardley


24 – Sam Slocombe

4 – Michael O’Connor

6 – Scott Wharton

15 – James Wilson

17 – Shay McCartan

26 – Harry Anderson

29 – John Akinde


1 – Joe Murphy

3 – Chris Stokes

4 – Will Aimson

5 – Adam Thompson

6 – Eoghan O’Connell

7 – Nicky Adams

8 – Stephen Dawson

10 – Danny Mayor (O’Shea 62’)

11 – Chris Dagnall (Moore 79’)

27 – Gold Omotayo (McFadzean 76’)

31 – Neil Danns


13 – Matthew Hudson                   

15 – Byron Moore

18 – Dominic Telford

19 – Jamie Barjonas

21 – Callum McFadzean

26 – Jay O’Shea

12 – Callum Styles


Eoghan O’Connell – 32’

John Akinde – 75’

Lee Frecklington – 82’


Will Aimson – 2’, 73’

Neal Eardley – 53’

Eoghan O’Connell – 90’ 


8016 (190 visitors)


Sebastian Stocksbridge