180818 Grimsby Match Report

The points were shared at Blundell Park in the Lincolnshire Derby after a well contested draw. Martyn Woolford opened the scoring midway through the first half before a John Akinde penalty leveled the score.

The noise from both sets of supporters generated a fantastic atmosphere and it was the Imps who were the first to threaten in the 2nd minute. Bruno Andrade picked up the ball from deep and hit a left footed drive over the bar.

Grimsby Town responded with an effort of their own, JJ Hooper tried his luck from 25 yards but his shot was a comfortable stop for Vickers in the Imps’ net.

Bruno Andrade caused the hosts problems down the right with some great footwork which allowed him to get behind the Grimsby backline on a couple of occasions but the Imps couldn’t capitalise.

Shay McCartan picked up the first booking of the game for a late foul in the 15th minute as he brought down John Welsh when the home side were counter attacking.

Martyn Woolford had a drive from distance mid way through the first half but it was well blocked by Michael O’Connor.

The Mariners continued to threaten on the break and neat work from Jordan Cook caused problems for the Imps down the right hand side as his cross evaded everyone.

The home side then took the lead in the 32nd minute. The ball broke to Martyn Woolford on the edge of the box and he rifled in a low left footed drive which beat Josh Vickers.

The home side continued to press and were deserved leaders at the mid way point.

Half Time – Grimsby Town 1-0 Lincoln City

Both sides started the second half unchanged. Shay McCartan impressed after the interval and danced past two Town defenders but had his shot comfortably saved by McKeown.

Martyn Woolford responded for the home side, his mazy run down the right wing led to a shot which was saved by Josh Vickers at his near post.

Good work from the Mariners down the right hand side lead to a cross which was headed over by JJ Hooper shortly afterwards.

The hosts continued to press, Hessenthaler was played in behind the City defence and squared the ball across goal but no one was able to tap it in to an empty net. Grimsby were on top during this period but failed to find a winner.

Harry Clifton picked up Grimsby’s first yellow card in the 70th minute for a late tackle on Lee Frecklington as the game began to stretch and open up.

The Imps won a penalty in the 70th minute, John Akinde was hauled to the ground in the penalty area. He then stepped up and made no mistake after he calmly side footed the ball into the corner.

Danny Collins was then booked for a late tackle on Shay McCartan as City gained momentum after the equaliser.

Both teams continued to press for a winner but it was JJ Hooper who almost won it late on after he turned his man on the edge of the box and curled a low left footed effort just wide of the post.

Neither team were able to find a winner which meant the points were shared and the Imps’ unbeaten start to the season continues.

Full Time – Grimsby Town 1-1 Lincoln City


Grimsby Town

1.    James McKeown

4.    John Welsh

6.    Danny Collins

7.    Jake Hessenthaler

9.    JJ Hooper

11.  Jordan Cook (Thomas 83rd minute)

12.  Akin Famewo

15.  Harry Clifton (Vernum 77th minute)

16.  Martyn Woolford

24.  Harry Davis

25.  Alex Whitmore


Paul Dixon

Louis Robles

Charles Vernam

Max Wright

Akheem Rose

Wes Thomas

Sam Russell

Lincoln Cit

1.    Josh Vickers

4.    Michael O’Connor (Tom Pett 64th minute)

5.    Jason Shackell

8.    Lee Frecklington

11.  Bruno Andrade

14.  Harry Toffolo

16.  Michael Bostwick

17.  Shay McCartan (Wilson 81st minute)

23.  Neal Eardley

26.  Harry Anderson (Matt Green 57th minute)

29.  John Akinde


6.    Scott Wharton

7.    Tom Pett

9.    Matt Rhead

10.  Matt Green

12.  Ellis Chapman

15.  James Wilson

21.  Grant Smith


Martyn Woolford ‘33

John Akinde ‘72


McCartan ‘15

Collins ‘74


7201 (1809 visitors)