170727 YT v Man Utd

Lincoln City's youngsters battled well, but fell to a 2-0 defeat to Manchester United's Under-17s on Wednesday night at Sincil Bank.

After the pre-match formalities referee Martin Chester got the game underway which saw the Imps kick off attacking the Bridge McFarland Stand.
Imps goalkeeper Michael Antkowiak was soon called into action, making a terrific save to his left from a Bughail-Mellor strike from 10 yards out after the ball had dropped to him from a corner.
Charlie West was penalised for blocking Millen Baars down the United left, from the resultant inswinging free kick Dunne from just six yards out made a firm connection but Antkowiak was positioned well to save then gathered to deny United the opening goal.
At the other end Luke White on the turn outside the box saw his effort drift wide of United's goal.
White tried his luck again from distance but his shot rose over the bar, United looked dangerous when venturing into the Imps territory but the home side were defending resolutely in front of the impressive Antkowiak.
Into added time Fenton came in off the touchline into the box, he tried to find Ellis Chapman but United intercepted and cleared downfield before Chester brought the first half proceedings to a close. 
HT: Lincoln City 0 - 0 Manchester United
On 50 minutes Antkowiak came out of his area to confront the forward run of Nishan Burkart and under the challenge the striker was left in a heap on the floor but referee Chester saw nothing untoward and waved away United claims for a free kick.
They then claimed what would of been a very soft penalty, Baars knocked the ball forward into Ethan Lairds' path but he went down far too easily in the box for the liking of the referee.
Jacob Fenton, West and Declan O'Hare combined well down the left before O'Hare finally crossing into Ritchie Burdett and his first time right footed strike from just inside the box went wide of the keepers left hand post.
United came really close to opening the scoring, D'Mani Bughail-Mellor was through on goal but once again Antkowiak came out to meet him and did enough to narrow the angle so it left little for the striker to aim at, the Imps keeper was tested again with a rasping drive from Mason Greenwood but his firm hands blocked it well and was then cleared away.
Imps man O'Hare played a delightful ball for Fenton, his touch took him to the angle of the six yard box and his shot beat the keeper but also beat the post therefore the score remained 0-0 with less than 20 minutes remaining.
Harry Spratt now getting forward even more down United's left made a good forward run, dropped the ball into Baars who crossed for Brandon Williams and his right footed shot went past Antkowiaks' outstretched hand and into the corner to give the visitors the lead.
With time running out United added a second through Baars, an exquisite curling right footed shot leaving substitute goalkeeper Ross Woolley with no chance as it found the top corner.
FT: Lincoln City 0-2 Manchester United
Attendance: 2240