FT: Burnley 0 Imps 1

History makers....

Alan Power and Jack Muldoon returned to the City starting line-up as the Imps' Emirates FA Cup adventure continued at the Fifth Round stage against Burnley at Turf Moor.

City, backed by over 3,000 noisy fans, gave the players a rapturous reception as they took to the field and once the pre-match formalities were done and dusted Burnley kicked off.

It was a quiet opening as both sides settled into proceedings but things almost came to life in the fifth minute when good work by Nathan Arnold saw him create space and find Muldoon but he saw his first time effort fly over the bar.

A meaty challenge by Matt Rhead on Joey Barton four minutes forced City to defend a free-kick whilst at the other end Rhead was inches away from a Terry Hawkridge cross as keeper Tom Heaton came off his line to clear.

The game's first corner went City's way in the 14th minute but Rhead was pulled up for a tug as Sam Habergham's delivery came into the box and three minutes later there was a yellow card for Power following a challenge on Johann Berg Gudmundsson in the centre circle.

George Boyd replaced a limping Gudmundsson in the 20th minute before a Burnley corner was prodded well wide by Scott Arfield. At the other end Muldoon was close to connecting with a Bradley Wood cross whilst the hosts' first attempt at goal saw Paul Farman save well from Andre Gray.

A second Burnley corner was won on the half-hour mark but once again the City defence stood firm before a trip on Hawkridge by Boyd earned the Imps a free-kick. City's response saw a Rhead knock down from a Habergham cross fall to Muldoon but with his back to goal he was unable to get in a shot.

Barton volleyed straight at Farman following a rare Burnley attack six minutes before the break and midway through two added minutes Arfield fired over from the edge of the box following good work by James Tarkowski.


There were no changes as the Imps restarted proceedings attacking the David Fishwick Stand which housed the noisy band of travelling fans.

The first action of the second period saw Gray play in Arfield who slid on on Farman who took a boot to the face in the process. The City number one was able to continue, though, after treatment from Mike Hine.

Appeals for handball as an Arnold cross hit Darikwa were waved away by the referee before a Barton free-kick was prodded wide by Gray at the other end.

In the 55th minute Tarkowski somehow escaped a yellow card after flattening Rhead and a couple of minutes later Power was grounded by a Barton elbow which the referee deemed to be a fair challenge.

An off the ball incident involving Rhead and Barton saw referee Scott speak to both players in the 63rd minute, just before Dayle Southwell replaced Jack Muldoon up front.

Rhead, at full stretch, headed an Arnold cross wide and in the 69th minute Woodyard was penalised for a foul before Barton flattened Hawkridge. Once things calmed down Barton was booked as was Wood before before play eventually resumed.

In the 73rd minute Ashley Barnes replaced the ineffective Sam Vokes up front for the Clarets and five minutes later a foul on Gray by Raggett gave the hosts a free-kick but Farman claimed Barnes's header following Barton's chipped delivery.

Joe Ward was an 81st minute replacement for Terry Hawkridge and two minutes later a Burnley corner was headed over by Tarkowski. Arfield then sliced over and Gray wide as the natives started to get somewhat restless.

With a minute of normal time remaining City forced a couple of corners and when the second was played deep by Habergham, the unmarked Waterfall headed back into the mix and there at the back post was SEAN RAGGETT to send the Imps into raptures by heading over the line.

Barnes was booked for Burnley before Jamie McCombe replaced Matt Rhead in the first of five added minutes. The hosts pressed for a late leveller but Farman pulled off a great save to Gray before two late corners saw keeper Heaton go up in support.

City held out though and when referee Scott blew for time, the history making Imps booked their place in the QUARTER FINALS of the FA Cup!


1    Paul FARMAN
2    Bradley WOOD
7    Jack MULDOON
8    Alan POWER
9    Matt RHEAD
11    Terry HAWKRIDGE
25    Sean RAGGETT
28    Nathan ARNOLD
30    Alex WOODYARD
10    Adam MARRIOTT
12    Sean LONG
24    Jack McMENEMY
27    Jamie McCOMBE (fo RHEAD 90+1)
31    Dayle SOUTHWELL (for MULDOON 64)
38    Joe WARD (for HAWKRIDGE 81)
21    Richard WALTON



1    Tom HEATON
5    Michael KEANE
7    Andre GRAY
9    Sam VOKES
18    Ashley WESTWOOD
19    Joey BARTON
26    James TARKOWSKI   
27    Tendayi DARIKWA
37    Scott ARFIELD

2    Matt LOWTON
6    Ben MEE
10    Ashley BARNES (for VOKES 73)
21    George BOYD (for GUDMUNDSSON 20)
23    Stephen WARD
32    Daniel AGYEI
17    Paul ROBINSON



REFEREE: Graham Scott
ASSISTANTS: Simon Bennett & Jake Collin

ATTENDANCE: 19,185 (3,213 City supporters)