It was a first win at Huish Park for The Imps after second half goals from Matt Green and Matt Rhead went unanswered to give City the victory in Somerset, the three points hoist Danny Cowley’s side into the top six in SkyBet League Two.

There was just one change for The Imps from the last league game against Port Vale as Cameron Stewart made his first League start, coming into replace Josh Ginnelly.

City started the game very quickly, a free kick played into the back post by Sam Habergham found the unmarked head of Luke Waterfall, his header back across goal was then met by Sean Raggett but he was flagged offside, however it showed the attacking intensions of the visiting side.

Matt Rhead spread play intelligently out wide where Harry Anderson got his first opportunity to use his pace and cause danger, after winning a throw The Imps put the ball into the danger area where Matt Green’s progress towards goal was just halted. Neal Eardley curled the ball into the box moments later where Rhead connected but he couldn’t keep his header down as the signs continued to be positive for City.

Nathan Smith gave The Imps another chance to put pressure on the Glover’s defence as he fouled Anderson on the right flank, Habergham played it in and Artur Krysiak in the Yeovil goal just managed to grasp possession at the second attempt with Rhead inches away from connecting with the ball. The home side went close when Bevis Mugabi headed over an Otis Khan corner, Josh Vickers was confident that it was going off target.

Although the ball was spending more time in the half of Yeovil, it was they who had the next chance as sub, Alefe Santos D’Abadia shot from distance which flew over the top of Vickers’ goal. Khan swung in a free kick for The Glovers from the right, with Omar Sowumni rushing in Sean Raggett made a vital interception, taking it right off his head just six yards from goal. Raggett then almost made another vital touch but in an attacking sense, he met another pinpoint Habergham corner but Mugabi blocked it with Krysiak already diving to his left.

Cameron Stewart was looking in confident mood, he won a corner after initially beating Mugabi down the line, The Imps’ winger curled the inswinger into the danger area and it took a few attempts for Yeovil to clear as there was a little of head tennis in the box. A fourth corner of the half for City saw them come a lick of paint away from opening the scoring, Raggett thundered a header past Krysiak but it cannoned off the crossbar.

Khan curled a free kick over the wall where Vickers watched it and palmed it away strongly in what was the home side’s first shot on target just before the break. Mugabi tested Vickers from 25 yards but yet again The Imps’ custodian was in the right place to save but in truth he didn’t struggle with the effort from the marauding right back.

A clever pass forward from Michael Bostwick saw Green run in behind the home defence, Green took a touch to come inside before getting his shot away which he saw blocked in what was the last effort of the half.  

Half Time 

Yeovil Town 0 The Imps 0

Bostwick had the first opportunity of the half as he was found by Green, the striker rolled the ball back from the edge of the box and the midfielder lashed a shot a couple of foot wide of the goal.  Olufela Olomola found space in behind the City defence, he ran between Waterfall and Raggett and into the box before trying to place the ball into the bottom corner, Vickers dived low to his right and made the vital stop. Yeovil pressed but within moments City were to take the lead.  Eardley played the ball forward, Rhead helped it on and GREEN was through, he raced twenty or so yards in possession, looked up and placed it past Krysiak.

Green was in confident mood following the goal, he found Anderson with a ball wide to the right who won a corner, the ball was played onto the head of Raggett yet again finding space from a set piece but he couldn’t keep his header down.

Yeovil pressed a little higher up the pitch when not in possession, trying to pin The Imps into their own half, but excellent positional play from Bostwick and Eardley meant they were in the right place to clear.

Habergham clipped in a free kick right on the touchline with just under 25 minutes remaining, Rhead flicked on and despite Stewart smashing it back into the area Krysiak did well to dive at the feet of Rhead to divert it from danger.  The Imps’ number nine was to make an even greater impact within a minute or so, he flicked the ball through to Green who held things up while Eardley joined him in attack, the first time cross from the full back was right on the money and RHEAD nodded home, it was no more than they deserved.

Khan curled a right footed free kick into the box but Waterfall headed away on the penalty spot with the home side pouring forward aiming to get something form the game. Elliott Whitehouse was instantly into the thick of the action as he came on to replace Rhead, winning a free kick right on the edge of the box. Habergham stood over it, lined it up before firing his just wide of the angle of post and bar.

Yeovil tried in vain to get back into the game, Connor Smith hit a tame shot which Vickers easily gathered, as The Imps saw out the final five minutes of normal time and injury time professionally, moving them into sixth place in SkyBet League Two.

Full Time

Yeovil Town 0 The Imps 2

The Teams:


Yeovil Town

1          Artur Krysiak

3          Nathan Smith

5          Bevis Mugabi

7          Otis Khan

13       Francois Zoko

15       Jordan Green

16       James Bailey

17       Omar Sowumni

20       Oscar Goburn

23       Thomas James

24       Olufela Olomola


12       Jonathan Maddison

4          Matthew Worthington

6          Keston Davies

8          Connor Smith (72’ for Bailey)

10       Jake Gray

14       Sam Surridge (63’ for Olomola)

30       Alefe Santos D’Abadia  (6’ for Goburn) 

The Imps

21       Josh Vickers

3          Sam Habergham

5          Luke Waterfall

9          Matt Rhead

10       Matt Green

16       Michael Bostwick

23       Neal Eardley

25       Sean Raggett

26       Harry Anderson

30       Alex Woodyard

32       Cameron Stewart


1          Paul Farman

2          Sean Long

4          Elliott Whitehouse (75’ for Rhead)

8          Ollie Palmer (78’ for Green)

11       Billy Knott

15       Rob Dickie

28       Nathan Arnold (80’ for Stewart)

Booking: Waterfall 34’

GOALS: Green 50’  Rhead 69’

Referee: Lee Collins

Assistants: Christopher Wade & Kevin Howick


Attendance 2,472 (278 Imps’ supporters)