FT: Guiseley 1 Imps 2

City progress in the Emirates FA Cup with deserved success at Guiseley...

Theo Robinson replaced Jack Muldoon for this Emirates FA Cup Fourth Round Qualifying Replay at Guiseley as the Imps looked to book a First Round Proper tie against Altrincham. City were up against a Guiseley side who made four changes to their team who started at Sincil Bank on Saturday.

With the hosts kicking off, City were quick to gain possession and when Robinson released Harry Anderson with less than 30 seconds on the clock he skipped past his marker only to be denied as he pulled the trigger.

City kept the ball in the attacking third with Anderson heading a Terry Hawkridge cross wide of the target before the first corner, won by Robinson, was headed wide in the fifth minute by Bradley Wood.

The Imps remained the dominant force as the quarter-hour mark approached with a superb ball over the top from Sean Raggett being controlled by Anderson but the latter stabbed his effort wide of the target past the advancing Dan Atkinson.

Persistence from Wood then saw him win a corner on the City left but the hosts cleared their lines when the flag-kick was played in. This coming before a good turn and shot from Robinson forced Atkinson into a save.

Guiseley's first attack came in the 22nd minute with Paul Farman denying Adam Boyes before the City stopper gathered the loose ball. At the other end four minutes later there was another half-chance for Anderson has he twisted on the edge of the box before drilling low into Atkinson's gloves.

Shortly after the half-hour mark a cross-cum-shot from Michael Rankine was cleared for a Guiseley corner which was easily dealt with by the City defence. The Imps' response saw them win four corners in quick succession but none of them unlocked the home side's back line.

Six minute before the break Rankine appeared to lead with the arm on Raggett who was left rubbing the side of his head as he gets back to his feet. Play restarted with a good, old fashioned drop ball and when the ball ran kindly for the Imps it fell to the feet of THEO ROBINSON who duly curled home a beauty into the top corner to give City a deserved lead.

Shortly after the restart Rhead spoted keeper Atkinson off his line but saw his 45-yard effort go inches over the bar and a minute before the interval Lee Beevers won a corner which was cleared.

The half ended after two extra minutes of play.


No changes were made at the break so it was as you were as the Imps restarted proceedings.

It was a bright start to the second period by City as they looked to unlock the Guiseley defence for a second time early on after the restart and they duly came up with the goods; Rhead knocking down a Habergham cross for THEO ROBINSON to fire home his second of the game.

A late lunge on Hawkridge earned home skipper Simon Walton a yellow card a minute later as his frustration got the better of him whilst Connor Brown was fortunate to get away with a tug on Habergham as the City left-back went on an overlapping run towards the box.

In the 58th minute the home side grabbed themselves a lifeline when a rare attack ended with the ball falling to Adam Boyes who fired past Paul Farman at the back post.

Four minutes after this set-back Hawkridge was denied by the feet of Atkinson after he fired in a low volley following a swift counter-attack. At the other end Waterfall was penalised for a foul on Rankine but Walton fired the free-kick into the City wall.

The home side were dealt a blow in the 67th minute when right-back Connor Brown flattened Sam Habergham with his elbow in an aerial challenge and was quickly dismissed by referee Andrew Miller.

With 20 minutes on the clock Wood fired wide from 25 yards when a throughball to Hawkridge looked the better option. A high boot on Wood by Walton then forced the City man to receive treatment from Mike Hine. Wood returns to the fray complete with bandaged head.

After a superb saving header from Waterfall saw him clear a Will Hatfield cross out for a corner, Farman was forced to tip over a deflected Walton cross.

After Jack Muldoon replaced Matt Rhead in the 77th minute Farman released Anderson who sprinted forward before seeing Atkinson divert his low drive behind for a corner. In the 80th minute Alan Power for Theo Robinson was City's second switch with Jermaine Hylton coming on for Simon Walton at the same time.

Raggett got in a timely block to deny Hatfield following a slip by Waterfall and as the Imps attacked shortly afterwards Muldoon sprinted forward and squared for Hawkridge who blazed over from 10 yards with only Atkinson to beat.

With five minutes remaining Jordan Preston and Jake Cassidy came on for Will Hatfield and Michael Rankine for the home side and as Muldoon curled over from 25 yards, the Fourth Official indicated that a minimum of four minutes were to be added on.

In the first of these a Guiseley corner was headed clear by Power at the near post and in the last good work from Muldoon saw him win a corner to eat up some seconds. Shortly afterwards referee Miller blew for time with City deservedly progressing into the First Round Proper and a home tie against Altrincham.


1    Paul FARMAN
2    Bradley WOOD
9    Matt RHEAD
11    Terry HAWKRIDGE
12    Harry ANDERSON
18    Lee BEEVERS
25    Sean RAGGETT
30    Alex WOODYARD
31    Theo ROBINSON

7    Jack MULDOON (for RHEAD 77)
8    Alan POWER (for ROBINSON 80)
22    Jack FIXTER
24    Jack McMENEMY
27    Jamie McCOMBE
32    Luke ANDERSEN
23    Jimmy WALKER


17    Dan ATKINSON
2    Connor BROWN
6    Jake LAWLOR
8    Will HATFIELD
9    Adam BOYES
11    Michael RANKINE
18    Nicky CLEE
20    Marcus WILLIAMS
22    Alex PURVER
24    Simon WALTON
25    Rob ATKINSON
3    Danny LOWE
10    Oli JOHNSON
12    Steve DICKINSON
15    Ash PALMER
19    Jordan PRESTON (for HATFIELD 85)
29    Jake CASSIDY (for RANKINE 85)
30    Jermaine HYLTON (for WALTON 80)





REFEREE: Andrew Miller
ASSISTANTS: Paul Brown & John Matthews

ATTENDANCE: 765 (177 City supporters)