Match Report – Peterborough United

The Imps came back from two goals down in Tuesday night’s home friendly to draw 2-2.

Lincoln got off to a good start with Muldoon squaring it to Simmons early on, his left footed shot was blocked on the line by a Peterborough defender.

Michael Bostwick then hit a strike from 30 yards but it was easily saved by Paul Farman.

Matty Stephens then hit a long range strike for Peterborough which deflected behind for a corner. Lincoln then counter attacked well and Muldoon’s cross just evaded Rhead.

With 15 minutes gone, Rhead headed against the bar following a great cross from Bradley Wood.

Peterborough took the lead in the 20th minute, Nabi’s long range strike took a big deflection and the ball looped over Farman.

The away side continued to attack and another shot from distance, this time from Tom Nicholls, forced Farman to tip the ball wide.

Farman then made a fantastic save from Nabi’s freekick with 30 minutes gone, a goalmouth scramble followed but the Imps survived.

With 33 minutes on the clock, Taylor Miles hit a free kick which was straight at Tyler.

Posh then made it 2-0 in the 35th minute. Jordan Nicholson tapped in from close range following great work from Tom Nicholls.

Lincoln continued to press shortly afterwards trying to reduce the deficit. Good work from Simmons lead to his cross being cut out at the near post and Rhead saw another header saved by Mark Tyler.

HT: Lincoln City 0-2 Peterborough United

There were no changes at the start of the second half.

In the 50th minute, Jamie McCombe got a goal back for the Imps. The ball fell to him inside the box and he stabbed the ball in to the far corner.

Moments later Farman made another great save from Matty Stephens.

The Imps then won themselves a penalty, Muldoon raced through and squared to Simmons who was upended as he was about to pull the trigger. Rhead’s penalty however was hit straight at keeper Tyler.

Hodge and Howe replaced McCombe and Miles.

Lincoln got their equaliser immediately, Muldoon latched onto the ball and finished smartly into the bottom corner with his left foot.

The Imps almost made it 3-2 when Muldoon forced a terrific save from Mark Tyler after Rhead found him unmarked in the 6 yard box.

Jenk Acar then replaced Alex Simmons in the 73rd minute.

Muldoon had another chanced in the 78th minute, he took a cross down on his chest but couldn’t keep his volley down.

Alex Woodyard was then replaced by Craig Stanley in the 80th minute. A left footed shot from Power was over shortly after.

Nabi hit a curling shot just wide for Posh with just a few minutes left.

Great work from Wood saw him race past two Posh defenders, his cross then found Muldoon but the angle was against him and his shot was wide.

FT; Lincoln City 2-2 Peterborough United.

Attendance: 1128 with 42 visitors.

Lincoln City
Farman, Wood, Beevers, Waterfall, McCombe (Howe), Muldoon, Woodyard (Stanley), Power, Miles (Hodge), Simmons (Acar), Rhead

Peterborough United
Tyler, White, Nicholson, Nabi, Bostwick, Cartwright, Anderson, Chettle, Nicholls, Stephens, Williams.