Match Report – Lincoln United vs Lincoln City

The Imps’ unbeaten pre-season run came to an end at Ashby Avenue.

The game kicked off on a hot muggy afternoon and within 3 minutes there was a lengthy stoppage due to an injury to Lincoln United’s Smith, who was eventually stretchered off.

The game then settled into a mainly pedestrian pattern with City having the lion’s share of possession. This all changed in the 15th minute when former City youth Gary King latched on to a through ball and then unleashed an unstoppable volley past Farman.

City thought they had got an equaliser two minutes later when a Taylor Miles free kick to the back post was met by Luke Waterfall but his effort was ruled offside.

A couple of minutes later, Jack Muldoon's glancing header was scrambled away at the back post.

The game continued in a similar pattern with James Caton's scuffed shot saved by the home keeper. Farman then made a smart stop from another long range United strike.

With 25 minutes gone the ref blew for a much needed drinks break.

City continued to dominate possession but were limited to long range efforts from Taylor Miles.

Just before half time, a deep cross from Muldoon was headed back across goal for Caton who had his shot blocked.

The final act of the first half involved Caton and Muldoon which resulted in a cross that evaded everyone in the box.

HT - Lincoln United 1-0 Lincoln City

Jamie McCombe and Alex Simmons replaced Callum Howe and Taylor Miles at the start of the half.

Early pressure from City lead to a corner. An appeal for handball was then waved away by the referee.

On 60 minutes, Simmons’ cross field ball found Caton who's deep cross was headed just over by Luke Waterfall.

City were made to pay for missing chances. In the 62th minute King’s cross wasn’t dealt with. The ball landed at the feet of McGovern who smashed the ball into the roof of the net.

In the 63rd minute Jack Fixter replaced Alex Woodyard.

A few moments later, Alex Simmons saw a header go over the bar.

A deep Beevers cross was headed just wide by Rhead and this was followed by another drinks break.

With 75 minutes gone, Simmons’ shot on the turn was parried by the keeper and Rhead's cross-come-shot was cleared by the home defence.

Lee Beevers was then replaced by Ryley Thompson.

Muldoon saw a shot blocked again by the well marshalled United defence. Simmons then hit a snap shot from the left that was just wide of the post.

In the final few moments, a smart turn by Caton lead to a dipping shot just clearing the bar.

Alan Power was replaced by Archie Moyses in stoppage time.

FT - Lincoln United 2-0 Lincoln City

Attendance - 815

Farman, Wood, Waterfall, Howe (McCombe), Beevers (Thompson), Woodyard (Fixter), Power (Moyses), Miles (Simmons), Muldoon, Rhead, Caton.