Gainsborough United – Match Report

The Imps were involved in a high scoring affair at The Northolme on Tuesday night which ended 3-3.

On a hot sunny evening City started the game on the front foot and went ahead in the 5th minute. Margetts latched on to a pass and hit an unstoppable right foot volley past home keeper Hedge.

Gainsborough responded quickly and young Imps keeper Richard Walton made a smart save a minute later.

City continued on the front foot and forced two corners in quick succession, the second of which lead to a Margetts header that was well saved by Hedge but the Imps striker was on hand to bundle in the loose ball with 7 minutes gone.

Credit to Gainsborough who refused to lie down and responded with a goal of their own in the 9th minute. Hazel latched on to a through ball and his shot evaded Walton.

Trinity continued to take the game to City and on 20 minutes were level. A shot was blocked and the loose ball fell to Davis who fired into the net high to the keepers left.

The frantic start to the game continued as both sides were pushing forward. Trinity forced a corner which City failed to clear and Davis was again on hand to scramble ball in with 24 minutes on the clock.

City spent the rest of the half in the ascendancy with efforts from Power, Margetts and Miles, but they were all dealt with by the home side.

HT: Gainsborough Trinity 3-2 Lincoln City

City started on a positive note and on 50 minutes a smart turn by Margetts resulted in him striking the ball just over the bar.

The Imps made their first change on 53 minutes with Jack Muldoon replacing Elliott Hodge and within a few minutes they were level. A smart layoff by Margetts found Matt Rhead on the edge of the box who struck the ball sweetly with his right foot in off the post.

City continued to make changes with Craig Stanley and Callum Howe replacing Jamie McCombe and Alan Power. This was quickly followed by another sub with Alex Simmons replacing Matt Rhead.

Caton with some good work down the left forced a corner but this proved to be his last act as he was substituted in the 71st minute and replaced by Jenk Acar. City’s last change saw Taylor Miles replaced by Kegan Everington.

As the game entered the final few minutes, City pushed forward again and Margetts saw his glancing header go just wide of the post. A minute later the impressive striker saw a volley on the turn just over.

The final act was left to Everington who's right footed effort went just wide.

FT - Gainsborough Trinity 3-3 Lincoln City

Walton, Wood, Beevers, Waterfall, McCombe (Howe), Hodge (Muldoon), Power (Stanley), Miles (Everington), Caton (Acar), Margetts, Rhead (Simmons).