Match Report : 07/09/2013


City boss Gary Simpson had the luxury of naming an unchanged squad for this Skrill Premier game against Salisbury City at Gelder Group Sincil Bank Stadium so the Imps went into the match with the same side that started the 2-1 win at Dartford last weekend.

Conditions were overcast but pleasant as referee Martin Coy led the two teams out of the tunnel and once the pre-match formalities were completed, visiting Salisbury kicked off attacking the Stacey West Stand.

City started brightly, pushing the Salisbury defence on the back foot right from the off, but goalkeeper Will Puddy remained untroubled as the clock ticked past the five minute mark.

A sliced clearance from Andrew Boyce gifted the visitors the first corner of the afternoon but this ended with Chris McPhee firing well wide. City's response saw Luke Foster drill wide from range following good build-up play by Waide Fairhurst and Ben Tomlinson.

A quiet spell ensued as both teams took their time to settle into proceedings before a push in Tomlinson' s back by Luke Roddick saw Danny Rowe test Puddy with a dipping free-kick from 25 yards.

The overlapping Tom Miller won City's first corner in the 17th minute but Sean Newton's delivery went over everyone in a packed area. Rowe then dropped a shoulder before dragging a long-range effort wide of the target.

Salisbury's packed midfield was certainly making it difficult for the Imps to get their passing game together as the half-hour mark approached whilst a knock to Ricky Wellard brought about a break in play.

After Tomlinson was cautioned for hand ball as he looked to get past his marker unfairly, Ben Wright replaced the struggling Wellard. Rob Sinclair then saw yellow for the visitors after bringing down Jon Nolan and when Rowe whipped in the free-kick, Puddy was forced to back pedal before claiming the ball as he crashed into the post.

Two Salisbury corners came their way as the half wore on and they certainly made their second one count as, after the ball was curled in deep towards the back post, there to meet it was the unmarked Chris McPhee who had the easy task to head past Paul Farman.

City looked for a quick response but they failed to make the most of a corner on their left before Tomlinson saw his goalbound effort held by Puddy following good work by Newton down the left.

Two additional minutes passed without further incident so it was the visitors who went in for the break with their noses in front.

HT: Imps 0 Salisbury 1

Both teams emerged unchanged for the start of the second half and it was Salisbury who were first to press, winning a corner on their left and after this was half-cleared the ball was played back into the mix, Dan Fitchett fired against the post before Farman claimed the loose ball via the boot of McPhee.

At the other end Rowe volleyed over from 25 yards before Jake Sheridan replaced Luke Foster for the Imps' first change. Fairhurst then sliced an effort from range as the frustrations in front of goal continued.

A good save from Farman in the 59th minute saw him tip over a dipping Fitchett effort after a quick City free-kick was intercepted. The resultant corner was headed back across the box with Nat Brown taking a knock as he cleared it from under the bar.

The centre-back looked to be in some discomfort as he was attended to and he left the field with blood streaming from a cut to the side of his head. City attacked with him off the field with Sheridan and Fairhurst combining to win a corner, which was taken after Callum Hart was stretched off and replaced by Ryan Brett for the visitors.

Newton's delivery was cleared off Brown's head for another corner which was somehow scrambled clear before the ball rebounded off the referee and out for another corner which Salisbury dealt with easier.

A trip on Tomlinson by Clovis Kamdjo gave the Imps a free-kick in a dangerous position as the game entered its final quarter with Newton's dipping effort dropping a foot over the bar.

Newton picked up a 73rd minute booking for a late trip on Luke Ruddick whilst a couple of minutes later a third and final change for the visitors saw Jamie White come on for Dan Fitchett. Bohan Dixon replaced Danny Rowe for the Imps at the same time and his first involvement saw him dump McPhee to the deck earning him a ticking off from referee Coy.

A sweeping City move, started by Dixon, led to Nolan winning a corner but this came to nothing with Fairhurst unable to get the ball across the box at the far post. Dixon then headed over as City started to turn the screw in the final 10 minutes.

With six minutes on the clock Adi Yussuf replaced Waide Fairhurst for his City debut and as the time ticked away Salisbury goalkeeper Puddy was booked for timewasting.

The Fourth Official indicated that a minimum of seven minutes were to be added on and 90 seconds Dixon headed a Sheridan cross into Puddy's gloves as Boyce was pushed forward in support.

A foul on Puddy by Boyce gave the visitors the chance to eat up some more seconds, as did a foul on Wilson by Yussuf who was booked for his troubles. Referee Coy brought things to a close shortly afterwards.

FT: Imps 0 Salisbury 1

5 Andrew BOYCE
23 Nat BROWN
27 Luke FOSTER
6 Mamadou FOFANA
19 Jon NOLAN
9 Danny ROWE

12 Jake SHERIDAN (for FOSTER 53)
14 Adi YUSSUF (for FAIRHURST 84)
15 Dan GRAY
17 Bohan DIXON (for ROWE 76)
31 David PREECE


1 Will PUDDY
6 Glenn WILSON
5 James CLARKE
3 Callum HART
12 Clovis KAMDJO
7 Chris McPHEE
11 Elliot FREAR

4 Ryan BRETT (for HART 66)
9 Jamie WHITE (for FITCHETT 76)
15 Ben WRIGHT (for WELLARD 33)
16 Brian DUTTON




REFEREE: Martin Coy
ASSISTANTS: Iain Turner & Andrew Miller

ATTENDANCE: 2,646 (32 visiting supporters)