FT: Barnet 1 Imps 1

Match report from The Hive

Manager Gary Simpson made three changes to his starting XI for this Skrill Premier game against Barnet at their new home, The Hive.

Coming into the starting line-up were Alan Power following suspension, Todd Jordan and Jake Sheridan with Waide Fairhurst, Danny Rowe and Luke Foster the men missing out. Rowe and Foster were joined on the bench by Bohan Dixon, Dan Gray and Nick Wright, back in the fold again following his recent absence through injury.

Blustery conditions greeted the two teams as referee Rob Whitton led the two teams out on to what looked to be a decent playing surface which had undergone a pre-match soaking courtesy of the sprinklers.

City were backed by a noisy and numerous travelling band of supporters as the game got underway and the Imps were quickly on the offensive with Jake Sheridan making the most of some hesitation in the home defence only to slide his effort a foot wide of the post.

Shortly afterwards, and with the game just three minutes old, a Power free-kick was headed out for a corner by ex-Imp David Stephens and although this came to nothing, another attack quickly followed with Jon Nolan having an effort charged down.

Another unproductive City corner followed in the seventh minute before Power saw an effort from range land on the roof of the net as the Imps continued to go for the jugular in the early stages.

On the quarter hour mark an injury to assistant referee Ollie Jackson saw an early switch on the line with Jonny Burridge coming on as his replacement. Mr Burridge was quickly in the action, flagging Jake Hyde offside.

Barnet's first attack came in the 20th minute with Mark Byrne blazing well over from 25 yards whilst from City's next break, Ben Tomlinson's flick following a Sheridan ball down the flank appeared to strike Stephens on the arm but his appeals fell on deaf ears.

Play switched to the other end With Keanu Marsh-Brown winning a corner and after Nat Brown headed this clear, Nolan and Tomlinson broke at pace only for the latter to slice well wide as he was closed down.

A swift City break down their right ended with Tomlinson forcing a corner which was cleared for a throw-in which was taken by Miller and headed over by Boyce. The Imps' fourth corner of the half ended with Newton drilling well over.

Number five arrived as the half ticked into its final minute with Barnet 'keeper Graham Stack palming Newton's inswinger away from target. In the first of three added minutes Power saw a spectacular overhead kick fly inches over following a Tomlinson cross.

The half ended with Luke Gambin firing wide after a Barnet corner fell to him at a narrow angle.

HT: Barnet 0 Imps 0

It was as you were personnel-wise as Barnet restarted proceedings and City were the first to press with good work by Sheridan seeing him force Stephens into a free-kick which was taken by Newton and headed away by the home defence.

A Tomlinson cross led to a corner eight minutes after the restart but Power's delivery was too strong and flew over a packed six-yard box and out for a goal-kick on the opposite side.

City had a great shout for a penalty in the 56th minute as Tomlinson went to ground under a couple of challenges inside the box but referee Whitton waved play on, much to the annoyance of the travelling hoards behind the goal.

Play immediately switched to other end where Marsh-Brown gained possession, skipped past a couple of challenges, rounded Farman and fired home to give his side the lead.

Shortly after the restart Power was forced off with a cut lip and returned following a change of shirt and shorts before Barnet won their third corner of the game which was cleared by Brown.

Nick Wright repaced Todd Jordan in the 69th minute before Newton saw his dipping free-kick headed over by a stooping Brown. Ahmed Abdulla for a limping Jake Hyde was Barnet's first switch three minutes later.

A blatant trip on the marauding Mo Fofana earned Barnet defender Anthony Acheampong a 78th minute caution. A second Barnet substitution saw Luisma Villa come on for Luke Gambin.

With seven minutes on the clock, and in a last-ditch bid to salvage something from the game, Bohan Dixon and Danny Rowe were brought on for Tomlinson and Fofana. Rowe was quick to get in a header but the clock was starting to tick quickly down towards added time.

Dixon drilled wide just before the Fourth Official indicated that a minimum of four minutes were to be added on and a minute in Stack claimed a Newton cross at the second attempt.

Marciano Mengerink replaced goalscorer Marsh-Brown for the hosts and more seconds were eaten up when Boyce was penalised for a foul following a Miller throw into the mix. At the other end Mengerink won a corner which led to another but City dealt with the danger and responded with Miller winning a free-kick.

Newton's delivery wasn't dealt with by the Bees' back line and when the ball ran free there was JON NOLAN to drive a powerful effort through a crowd of players to earn the Imps a fully deserved point.

FT: Barnet 1 Imps 0

5 Andrew BOYCE
23 Nat BROWN
6 Mamadou FOFANA
19 Jon NOLAN
8 Alan POWER

9 Danny ROWE (for FOFANA 83)
10 Nick WRIGHT (for JORDAN 69)
15 Dan GRAY
17 Bohan DIXON (for TOMLINSON 83)
27 Luke FOSTER


29 Graham STACK
3 Elliot JOHNSON
4 Curtis WESTON
8 Mark BYRNE
9 Jake HYDE
11 Luke GAMBIN

13 Nick JUPP
14 Ahmed ABDULLA (for HYDE 71)
16 Marciano MENGERINK (for MARSH-BROWN 90+3)
19 Luisma VILLA (for GAMBIN 81)




REFEREE: Rob Whitton
ASSISTANTS: Oliver Jackson & Darren Stobbart
FOURTH OFFICIAL: Jonathan Burridge

ATTENDANCE: 1,913 (574 City supporters)