Match Report : 06/04/2013


There were two changes to the City starting line-up for this match against Blue Square Bet Premier leaders Kidderminster Harriers with Adam Smith and Mo Fofana coming in for Tony Diagne and Paul Turbull; the former out injured and the latter on the bench.

City started the game brightly, enjoying the better of the early exchanges with the opening five minutes being spent in the Kidderminster half but home stopper Danny Lewis remained untroubled between the sticks.

The leaders were kept on the back foot with Adam Smith, starting the game in left wing-back position, looking lively having seen a lot of the ball early on and it wasn't until the 13th minute when Kidderminster pressed forward with a foul on Keith Briggs by Nat Brown giving the hosts a free-kick in a dangerous position; Paul Farman got his angles right though and pushed away Danny Pilkington's 20-yard effort.

In the 17th minute a deflected Harriers cross led to the first corner of the game but City defended solidly before play restarted with a free-kick to the Imps following a push on Todd Jordan. Another Kidderminster flag-kick followed three minutes later but this quickly-taken one was again dealt with before Oliver was left grounded for another free-kick.

City's response saw a long Tom Miller throw-in cause panic amongst the home defence before Todd Jordan headed an Alan Power cross behind. At the other end both Brown and Andrew Boyce got in timely interceptions to deny the hosts a sight of goal.

Although the Imps looked comfortable in the first quarter of the game, it was the Harriers who broke the deadlock when Danny Jackman rifled home in the 27th minute after striker Michael Gash had chested down a forward pass into his team mate's path.

City's response saw Miller head a Power free-kick wide of the target whilst at the other end Gash drilled a low effort past Farman's right-hand upright. A harsh decision against Brown on Gash then brought about a Harriers free-kick which was taken by Jackman and headed well over by Chey Dunkley.

A couple of minutes before the break Martin Devaney replaced a limping Danny Pilkington for the home side whilst midway through two minutes of added time Oliver prodded an effort goalwards which was easily claimed by Lewis.

HT: Harriers 1 Imps 0

Both teams emerged unchanged for the start of the second half and the Imps were quickly out of the traps with the advancing Taylor seeing his low centre to Oliver intercepted by Lewis at full stretch.

At the other end Harriers substitute Devaney drilled in an effort which crashed against Miller before going out for a corner which was headed out by Oliver. Jake Sheridan was then cautioned for a foul on Devaney with the free-kick failing to trouble the City back line.

It was as relatively quiet opening to the second period with neither goalkeeper threatened as the hour mark came and went, although the Imps were starting to get themselves into the game before Keith Briggs required treatment for the home side. Marvin Johnson came on as Briggs' replacement a couple of minutes later and as the game approached its final quarter.

Ex-Imp Josh Gowling headed away a Power free-kick shortly after this switch before Craig Hobson replaced Adam Smith for the Imps in the 70th minute.

City's best move of the game came shortly afterwards with some excellent interchange play down the right ending up seeing Taylor fire at Lewis whilst less than a minute later Hobson had a sniff of goal but delayed his effort before Taylor's follow-up cross evaded Oliver.

A deflected Taylor effort led to City's first corner in the 77th minute with Power's delivery being hurriedly nodded behind by Gowling with this follow-up flag-kick ending up seeing Taylor unable to keep the ball in play.

City were made to pay for their failure to make the pressure count as, with 10 minutes remaining, a long ball from Johnson saw skipper Kyle Storer nip in and lift over the advancing Farman to double his side's advantage.

The lead was increased further in the 89th minute when the overlapping Lee Vaughan drilled in a low cross-shot flying across Farman and into the bottom corner. Callum Gittings replaced Anthony Malbon before the Fourth Official indicated a minimum of two added minutes were to be played. These duly passed without further incident.

FT: Harriers 3 Imps 0

City: Paul Farman, Tom Miller, Andrew Boyce, Nat Brown, Todd Jordan, Alan Power, Mamadou Fofana, Adam Smith, Jake Sheridan, Jamie Taylor, Vadaine Oliver.

subs: Scott Garner, Jake Jones, Craig Hobson (for Smith 70), Paul Turnbull, David Preece.

bookings: Sheridan (52)

Kidderminster: Danny Lewis, Lee Vaughan, Mickey Demetriou, Kyle Storer, Anthony Malbon, Danny Pilkington, Danny Jackman, Michael Gash, Keith Briggs, Chey Dunkley, Josh Gowling.

subs: Ryan Rowe, Marvin Johnson (for Briggs 67), Callum Gittings (for Malbon 90), Nathan Vaughan, Martin Devaney (for Pilkington 43).

goals: Jackman (27) Storer (80), Vaughan (89)

Referee: Charles Breakspear
Assistants: Mark Ackerman & John Dowd
Fourth Official: Matthew Jones

Attendance: 2,326 (194 City supporters)