Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Imps 1 Sheffield FC 3

23 October 2022

Match Reports

Imps 1 Sheffield FC 3

23 October 2022

Sponsored by

City exited the FA cup after competing in a closely fought affair against Sheffield FC at Moorlands.

The visitors made the breakthrough in just the second minute as Alex O’Neill’s shot from distance beat Lana Timson and found the roof of the net.

The Imps reacted after going a goal down, with some nice play down the right between Lucy Farrow and Amy Kay, resulting in a shot that Leah Kellogg did well to save at her near post.

As the game progressed, City limited the visitors to attempts from range while, at the other end, the home side saw repeated corners cleared.

Lee Mitchell’s side threatened to level in the 19th minute when after Jess Rousseau swivelled and shot at goal, but the keeper saved well.

The Imps continued to drive forward in search of the equaliser and Rousseau was fouled as she progressed down the left wing, giving City a chance to throw players forward for the free-kick.

Toni McHamilton sent the ball into the area, but the ball was scrambled away to safety.
Lucy Farrow was able to break through the Sheffield backline and attempt to find a team=mate in the area, but Sheffield were able to clear

Rousseau and Farrow switched flanks with around five minutes left to play in the first half to try and disrupt the Sheffield defence.

City equalised one minute later as Kay found Leah Hardy in the middle, and City’s No.9 slotted home with a first-time finish.

After levelling the score, the Imps pushed forward looking for a second. Hardy was now at the centre of all the attacks, as she curled an effort just over the bar.

There was time for one more drilled shot from Hardy before the half-time whistle sounded, as the teams headed in at the break all square.

Chantelle Robinson replaced Katie Williams for the second half, as City retained the ball in the early stages after the break.

Robinson almost made an immediate impact for the Imps when her powerful effort at goal forced Kellogg into a good save.

Play was once again stopped ten minutes into the second half, as Sheffield’s Autumn Marshall went down injured for a prolonged period, with the stretcher eventually having to be used. As a result, Milly Colford entered the pitch for the visitors.

Once play resumed again, Sheffield found themselves with a free-kick on the edge of the box after two players collided in the air.

O’Neill gave Sheffield the lead once more from the resulting set piece, with her second of the game, hitting a powerful strike beyond the reach of Timson.

Eden Pedersen replaced Sinead Fletcher for Lincoln’s first change of the match after 68 minutes. Shortly afterwards, Sheffield had the ball in the back of the net, but the linesman’s flag ruled it offside.

City were once more in search of a leveller, and it nearly came in the 75th minute as Farrow shot narrowly wide of the far post after being played through by McHamilton.

Despite the Imps threatening to find an equaliser, it was the visitors who scored the next goal.

Substitute Colford was able to loop the ball over Timson and in to the back of the net to extend the away side’s lead with just over 10 minutes to go.

The Imps tried to mount a comeback in the closing stages and had a chance to make it a nervy finish when Robinson powered a shot at goal, but it was parried by the impressive keeper.

Nine additional minutes were added at the end of the game after some lengthy stoppages but, despite their best efforts, Lincoln were unable to find a way through.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account