Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Gallery | John O'Gaunts commemorated

4 March 2024

Club News

Gallery | John O'Gaunts commemorated

4 March 2024

Sponsored by

The Red Imps Community Trust commemorated the site of John O'Gaunts on Saturday.

John O'Gaunts was first home of the Imps for 11 years before City moved to Sincil Bank in 1895.

John O'Gaunt was the son of King Edward III and the father of King Edward IV. St Mary's Guildhall, originally John O'Gaunts Stables, was built in 1157 and has subsequently been a luxurious home, a maltings and a school.

The Imps were founded in 1884 and their first match was played on land to the east of St Mary's Guildhall. Kick-off was delayed by twenty minutes and Sleaford Town were beaten 9-1.

Season tickets cost two shillings (10 pence) and kick-off times generally depended on the away team's train arrivial times. Opposition teams included Glasgow Clyde, London Strollers and Derby Midland.

The Football League was expanded for the 1892-93 season and Lincoln City were invited to compete. In their first Football League season the Imps finished in the bottom four and were required to see re-election.

The first floodlit game at the John O'Gaunts ground took place in the 1893-94 season when Sheffield United were the visitors. The pitch was lit using paraffin flares on wooden poles.

In season 1894-95 the future of the club was in doubt when the ground was put up for sale. In the Central Sale Rooms on Bank Street it was sold so that it could be developed for new housing.

The club moved to an existing football pitch over the drain from the original site onto Sincil Bank, taking their John O'Gaunts grandstand with them.

In their last home game at the John O'Gaunts ground the attendance was 7,500.

Forward to 2024 and the Red Imps Community Trust recognise the Imps' first home ground with their plaque on 2 Sibthorpe Street.

See also details of the new John O'Gaunts club HERE.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account