Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Imps 1 Wigan Athletic 2

13 April 2024

Match Reports

Imps 1 Wigan Athletic 2

13 April 2024

Sponsored by

City fell to their first defeat in 17 matches after Charlie Hughes’ late strike for Wigan Athletic at the LNER Stadium.

The Imps enjoyed a lot of the ball in the early phases but couldn’t carve open any clear opportunities, with Joe Taylor’s quick delivery across the face of goal the closest they came to taking an early lead.

The visitors’ first effort on target came in the 12th minute as Jonny Smith found space to cut in from the right to bend one at goal which was dealt with comfortably by Lukas Jensen.

Wigan saw more of the ball as the half went on and had another effort at goal four minutes later as Charlie Hughes’ beat Sean Roughan in the area before dragging his effort wide of the near post.

The flurry of chances for Shaun Maloney’s side paid off a few minutes later when Thelo Aasgaard played the ball out to Smith on the right who cut back inside to curl one beyond the stretch of Jensen from outside the box.

City found the back of the net in the 25th minute as Danny Mandroiu’s driven effort from the edge of the area was parried out to Joe Taylor who finished low beneath the goalie, however the frontman was flagged offside.

Michael Skubala’s side did draw level in the 40th minute through Mandroiu who picked up the ball midway inside the attacking half and arrowed one from 30-yards out into the bottom left corner. 

Joe Taylor had two opportunities to put his side ahead in stoppage time but his free header was held before his first-time effort bounced off the deck and just over the crossbar.

Wigan started the second half positively and would've retaken the lead if it wasn’t for some last ditch defending from Mandroiu who slid in to block Charlie Kelman's angled effort inside the area.

Taylor was denied another goal in the 50th minute after City broke up the pitch through Ethan Erhahon who played through the Welshman to finish off, but he was denied by the linesman’s flag for offside.

Another City goal was ruled out in the 61st minute when Lasse Sorensen won the ball on the right wing and floated a cross to Taylor at the back post. The No. 9, who was stood in an offside position, knocked the ball back to Reeco Hackett to finish but the linesman had his flag raised.

Michael Skubala looked to freshen things up midway through the second half and it almost worked immediately as Sorensen’s low drive was blocked before Roughan headed just over a few seconds later.

Both sides continued to battle it out in the closing stages and it was the visitors who found a winner in the 90th minute as Steven Sessegnon's delivery into the area popped out to Hughes who struck a half volley past Jensen.

Imps: Lukas Jensen, Alex Mitchell, Paudie O’Connor ©, Sean Roughan, Ethan Erhahon, Jack Moylan (Jovon Makama 63’), Danny Mandroiu, Lasse Sorensen, Reeco Hackett (Dylan Duffy 72’), Joe Taylor (Freddie Draper 72’), Ben House (Jack Burroughs 79’). Subs (not used): Jordan Wright, Adam Jackson, TJ Eyoma.

Goals: Mandroiu (40’).

Wigan: Sam Tickle, Tom Pearce, Steven Sessegnon, Charlie Hughes ©, Matt Smith, Thelo Aasgaard, Jason Kerr (Liam Morrison 71’), Martial Godo (Josh Magennis 71’), Jonny Smith (Scott Smith 64’), Charlie Kelman (Chris Sze 56’), Baba Adeeko. Subs (not used): Ben Amos, Callum McManaman, Kell Watts.

Goals: Smith (20’) Hughes (90').

Attendance: 9,611 (648 away).

Referee: Martin Coy.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account