Imps Morecambe

City bowed out of the Emirates FA Cup following a narrow defeat at home to Morecambe.

It was a cagey opening to the game which saw few chances created by either side as they both battled to gain a foothold in the hope of taking an early lead.

Danny Mandroiu then sparked the match into life with a floated delivery towards Lasse Sorensen who made a well-timed run to the back post to strike in off the underside of the crossbar.

Mandroiu almost had another assist a few moments later after his chest down from Ali Smith’s crossfield pass to Ethan Hamilton on the edge of the box was fired over the crossbar.

Mandroiu continued to be involved and tested keeper Adam Smith from a free-kick after Sorensen was fouled on the edge. The Irishman bent his effort around the wall but saw it parried clear of danger.

City carried on in their pursuit of a second and it almost came on the half hour mark when Ali Smith slipped Ethan Hamilton in who eventually got the ball from under his feet to strike just wide of the left post.

The visitors drew level in the 43rd minute with their first shot on target as Adam Mayor’s corner into the box was headed down by JJ McKiernan and turned in from a yard out by Michael Mellon.

Derek Adams’ side started the second half positively and went close to taking the lead just after the break as a deep cross fell to Jordan Slew at the back post who clipped the outside of the post.

The Morecambe pressure continued which saw them go in front after 53 minutes as Eli King found Tom Bloxham in space who rounded Lukas Jensen before keeping composed to slot home into the bottom corner.

Following some nice build up play from the Imps, Mandroiu almost put his side back on level terms as his bending effort towards the far post almost caught the keeper out.

Jensen was then called into action as Donald Love’s long ball across to Bloxham was volleyed at goal, forcing a reaction save from the goalie who managed to adjust his feet to tip the effort past the post.

City’s defence had to be alert soon after when Slew’s accurate cross dropped nicely for Bloxham towards the back post who was denied by a superb goalline clearance from Adam Jackson.

The Imps carried on battling in search of an all-important leveller as Ethan Hamilton went on a powerful run into the final third before unleashing one over the crossbar.

Tom Shaw’s side then hit the woodwork in the 84th minute as Dylan Duffy floated a corner into the area which was met by Adam Jackson whose planted header into the ground skipped off the surface and hit the post.

Mellon almost put the game out of sight when he dodged several tackles on a run forward before unleashing a fierce effort which just rose over the top right corner.

City went very close to levelling late on through Jovon Makama's flicked effort narrowly wide of the far post before Paudie O'Connor's towering header was held, which proved to be enough to send the visitors through to round two.

Imps: Lukas Jensen, Lasse Sorensen, Adam Jackson, Ethan Erhahon, Ali Smith (Dylan Duffy 71’), Ethan Hamilton, Danny Mandroiu, Paudie O’Connor, Jack Burroughs, Hakeeb Adelakun (Jack Vale 66’), TJ Eyoma (Jovon Makama 84’). Subs (not used): Jordan Wright, Jaden Brown, Alex Mitchell, Mide Shodipo.

Goals: Sorensen (14’).

Morecambe: Adam Smith, David Tutonda (Donald Love 46’), Jacob Bedeau ©, Tom Bloxham (Yann Songo’o 89’), Eli King, Michael Mellon, JJ McKiernan, Adam Mayor, Joel Senior (Max Melbourne 90+4'), Jordan Slew, James Connolly. Subs (not used): George Pedley, Farrend Rawson, Jacob Davenport, Cammy Smith, Ethan Walker, Charlie Brown.

Goals: Mellon (43’), Bloxham (53’).

Attendance: 4,607 (192 away).

Referee: Martin Coy.