Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Cambridge United 0 Imps 3

28 November 2023

Match Reports

Cambridge United 0 Imps 3

28 November 2023

Sponsored by

Goals from Danny Mandroiu, Dylan Duffy and Jack Vale helped see City to three points at Cambridge United.

Ahead of kick-off both sides joined together to remember the late England manager Terry Venables with a minute’s applause.

Cambridge had the first meaningful attack of the game in the third minute as Liam Bennett came in from the right to sting the palms of Lukas Jensen with a low effort which was eventually claimed by the goalie.

The Imps threatened down the right a few minutes later as Ali Smith made his way into the box before crossing over to Dylan Duffy in space whose drilled strike was saved by Jack Stevens who managed to get down quickly.

City were awarded a penalty in the 15th minute after Dylan Duffy’s run from the left side of the pitch was stopped by Jordan Cousins following Danny Mandroiu’s precise through ball. 

Mandroiu then stepped up for the spot kick and confidently placed it into the bottom right corner, with Stevens guessing incorrectly and diving the opposite way.

Ethan Hamilton looked to double his side’s lead as he went on a driving run to the edge of the area, although his low shot failed to trouble the goalkeeper.

City secured their second goal of the night a few moments later as Mandroiu’s corner was headed only as far as Duffy just outside the box who took a touch before firing an effort against the goalkeeper which bounced up and into the top right corner.

The hosts looked to cause issues from the wide areas in the closing stages of the first half but lacked the final ball to really trouble the Imps, who went into the break two nil up.

Jovon Makama opened up an opportunity for himself in the 57th minute as he twisted and turned away from Michael Morrison on the break before blasting over the crossbar. 

Despite City looking quite comfortable in the early stages of the second half the U’s had an opportunity to get back into the contest after Glenn McConnell’s header forward to Gassan Ahadme was struck towards goal which forced a reaction save from Jensen.

Mark Bonner’s side continued to grow into the second half but were still unable to find the decisive touch to get one back as McConnell blazed an effort over the crossbar from a decent position in the 78th minute.

Cambridge then had two good quickfire chances in the 83rd minute as Jack Lankester’s free back post header was saved before Adam May’s first time deflected effort had to be tipped around the outside of the post by Jensen.

Michael Skubala’s side put the game out of sight with five minutes remaining as Adelakun’s corner was flicked against the inside of the post by Paudie O’Connor, with Jack Vale on hand to smash home the rebound from close range.

Cambridge: Jack Stevens, Liam Bennett, Danny Andrew (Jack Lankester 75’), Michael Morrison ©, George Thomas (Adam May 75’), Fejiri Okenabirhie (John-Kymani Gordon 85’), Sullay Kaikai (Glenn McConnell 65’), Jubril Okedina, Elias Kachunga (James Brophy 65’), Gassan Ahadme, Jordan Cousins. Subs (not used): Will Mannion, Ryan Bennett.

Imps: Lukas Jensen, Adam Jackson, Ethan Erhahon, Ali Smith (Hakeeb Adelakun 46’), Ethan Hamilton, Danny Mandroiu (Paudie O’Connor 76’, Jack Burroughs, Dylan Duffy (Jaden Brown 64’), TJ Eyoma, Alex Mitchell, Jovon Makama (Jack Vale 76’). Subs (not used): Jordan Wright, Mide Shodipo, Bola Okewoye.

Goals: Mandroiu (16’ pen), Duffy (32’), Vale (85’).

Attendance: 5,103 (358 away).

Referee: David Rock.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account