Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Imps 0 Peterborough United 3

18 March 2023

Match Reports

Imps 0 Peterborough United 3

18 March 2023

Sponsored by

The Imps suffered their first home league defeat of the season against Peterborough United.

The closest either side went in the early stages was a curling free-kick from Harrison Burrows midway inside City’s half which was comfortably claimed by Carl Rushworth.

Peterborough were awarded another free-kick in an encouraging position in the 18th minute which was lifted into the box by Joe Ward to Frankie Kent who sent his header wide but failed to beat the offside trap.

The Imps’ first real chance of the afternoon came three minutes later as Matty Virtue found space to drive towards goal before unleashing a powerful effort from the edge of the box which clipped the side netting.

The Posh scored with their first shot on target after Nathanael Ogbeta’s cross from the left was dummied by Burrows to allow Jonson Clarke-Harris time and space to fire back across goal past Rushworth.

Clarke-Harris had a golden opportunity to double his side’s advantage in the 35th minute when Ward’s low delivery from the right made it all the way through to the striker at the back post who planted his effort narrowly wide.

City went close to levelling in first half stoppage time as Virtue pounced on a poor clearance from Luke Plange’s initial cross only to strike just wide of the target.

Mark Kennedy’s side were awarded a free-kick in a good position at the start of the second half which was taken by Danny Mandroiu and whipped past the wall and wide of Will Norris’ left post.

The Posh responded with a chance of their own as Ephron Mason-Clark crossed into Burrows from the left which the midfielder took down before firing straight into Rushworth’s gloves.

Moments later Darren Ferguson’s side hit the woodwork as Burrows’ sent his corner straight to Ward on the edge of the area who took a touch before thumping it against the base of the far post.

As tempers flared following a few strong challenges, Jack Taylor extended Peterborugh’s lead after he burst into the area before seeing his low shot take a slight deflection to wrong-foot Rushworth and sneak inside the near post.

Bishop’s 20-yard free-kick almost brought City back into the contest after it took a nick on the way through in the 74th minute, however nobody in red and white could make the essential contact to turn it home.

City created another chance a few minutes later when Roughan’s long throw fell to Montsma whose overhead kick towards goal bounced up into Norris’ grasp.

Peterborough added a third late on as Poku took down a throw from inside the final third before coming infield and squaring for Ward to tap in at the back post. 

City: Carl Rushworth, Lewis Montsma, Adam Jackson, Ethan Erhahon (Luke Plange 40’), Paudie O’Connor ©, Ben House, Danny Mandroiu, Lasse Sorensen (Max Sanders 81’), Sean Roughan, Matty Virtue (Ted Bishop 65’), Jack Diamond (Jovon Makama 81’) Subs (not used): Jordan Wright, Harry Boyes, Dylan Duffy.

Peterborough: Will Norris, Ronnie Edwards, Frankie Kent, Jack Taylor, Jonson Clarke-Harris ©, Ephron Mason-Clark (Kwame Poku 79’), Nathan Thompson, Nathaniel Ogbeta, Harrison Burrows (Hector Kyprianou 77’), Oliver Norburn (Ben Thompson 77’), Joe Ward (Josh Knight 90+1'). Subs (not used): Will Blackmore, Joel Randall, Kabongo Tshimanga.

Goals: Clarke-Harris (28’), Taylor (68’), Ward (82’).

Attendance: 9,530 (1,566 away).

Referee: Robert Lewis.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account