Imps Blackpool

City continued their positive start to the season with a comfortable victory over Blackpool at the LNER Stadium.

Blackpool enjoyed some early pressure and had the first real effort of the match as CJ Hamilton got away from Sean Roughan at the byline to cut the ball back to Callum Connolly in space who blasted over.

Despite this, the Imps hit back and were awarded a penalty shortly afterwards when Marvin Ekpiteta's sliding challenge caught Ben House from behind in the box.

Danny Mandroiu took responsibility for the spot kick and fired it down the middle, with goalkeeper Daniel Grimshaw guessing wrong with a dive to his left.

Following the goal both teams looked to gain a foothold in the match, with the next best chance coming in the 28th minute from a Jake Beesley header which bounced wide of the target.

The Tangerines continued to level the scores and had another chance to do so two minutes later when Albie Morgan’s corner into the centre was met by Ekpiteta who could only send his looping header onto the roof of the net.

Blackpool debutant Jordan Rhodes looked to make an impact off the bench after Hamilton slipped him into City’s area but his shot was smartly saved by Jensen, with the loose ball falling back to Hamilton who skied his first-time effort over the bar with the goal gaping.

Ethan Erhahon then popped up with a wondrous solo effort in the 40th minute where he picked the ball up from midway inside his own half before dribbling to the edge of Blackpool’s box to fire an effort which deflected off Ekpiteta and into the top right corner of the goal.

The Imps almost added a third in the 56th minute when Mandroiu’s cross from the left bounced all the way through to Hackett in front of goal who couldn’t quite find the required contact to turn it in.

Neil Critchley’s side kept battling and created a good chance for themselves just after the hour mark when a cross from the left was laid off by Rhodes to Sonny Carey on the edge of the area whose low first-time effort was held by Jensen.

City’s afternoon got even better midway through the second half when Tyler Walker’s flicked header from the halfway line set House through on goal.

The frontman was denied by Grimshaw with his initial shot but was brought down after he attempted to put the rebound in, with Ollie Norburn shown a straight red for the foul.

Ted Bishop stepped up and dispatched the penalty straight down the middle to put the game out of sight and give his side a commanding heading into the final stages of the match.

Walker went close to netting his first goal since returning to the Imps in injury time when Bishop delivered a low corner to him, however his powerful strike went the wrong side of the post. 

Imps: Lukas Jensen, Lasse Sorensen, Adam Jackson (Alex Mitchell 79’), Ethan Erhahon, Reeco Hackett (Ted Bishop 67’), Ethan Hamilton (Ali Smith 79’), Danny Mandroiu (Tyler Walker 67’), Paudie O’Connor, Jack Burroughs, Ben House (Dylan Duffy 85’), Sean Roughan. Subs (not used): Jordan Wright, Jaden Brown.

Goals: Mandroiu (7’ pen), Erhahon (40’) Bishop (73’ pen).

Blackpool: Daniel Grimshaw, Callum Connolly, James Husband, Ollie Norburn ©, Albie Morgan (Jensen Weir 81’), Kenny Dougall (Sonny Carey 46’), Jake Beesley (Andy Lyons 46’), Shayne Lavery (Jordan Rhodes 27’), Olly Casey, Marvin Ekpiteta (Owen Dale 46’), CJ Hamilton. Subs (not used): Richard O’Donnell, Matt Pennington.

Referee: Martin Coy.

Attendance: 8,012 (760 away).