Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Imps 3 Port Vale 2

15 April 2023

Match Reports

Imps 3 Port Vale 2

15 April 2023

Sponsored by

The Imps left it late to secure a third win on the bounce - beating Port Vale 3-2 at the LNER Stadium.

The Imps took the lead with their first shot as Danny Mandroiu played a defence-splitting pass through to Lasse Sorensen who got in front of Mal Benning to flick the ball past Aiden Stone and in.

Port Vale’s first opening of the game came in the 19th minute as David Worrall found space to fire a left-footed shot wide of the target from the edge of the box.

City didn’t let this phase them and continued to hold possession for large spells in the early stages, with another decent bit of build up play coming to Mandroiu in the centre who couldn’t quite apply a touch.

Carl Rushworth was sent off in the 28th minute after he tangled with Matty Taylor just inside the area, with referee David Rock also pointing to the spot.

Jordan Wright then came on in place of Matty Virtue, but the goalkeeper could do nothing about Taylor’s penalty who rifled it down the middle to equalise.

Darrell Clarke’s men were then ahead a few minutes later as Taylor’s quick forward ball from the halfway line went through the City defence to Daniel Butterworth whose first-time strike found the corner of the net.

In a strange turn of events Vale were then reduced to 10 men straight after their goal as Tom Conlon was shown red for an off the ball incident.

The Imps were back on level terms in the 43rd minute when Mandroiu played another delightful crossfield pass to Ben House who took it on his chest before calmly slotting into the bottom right past Stone.

Mandroiu was involved in the first action of the second half too when his free-kick from distance dipped over the wall and bounced off the outside of Stone’s post.

There were a few Vale supporters who thought they had scored a third just before the hour mark after Aaron Donnelly fired at goal from an angle which was tipped into the side netting by Wright.

A cagey next 10 minutes was then followed by a good opportunity for City as Boyes’ accurate ball in from the left could only be headed over by Regan Poole at the back post. 

The Valiants had another man sent off in the 80th minute as Sammy Robinson brought down Dylan Duffy to receive a second yellow card.

The resulting free-kick was crossed into the centre of the box by Mandroiu on the left flank and met by Adam Jackson who rose highest to send a dipping header just over the crossbar.

The Imps won it with three minutes to go as Duffy swung in an inviting ball to Jackson whose towering header bounced down into the bottom corner past the outstretched goalie.

City: Carl Rushworth, Regan Poole ©, Harry Boyes, Adam Jackson, Mide Shodipo (Dylan Duffy 78’), Ethan Erhahon, Paudie O’Connor, Ben House (Luke Plange 90+2’), Danny Mandroiu (Max Sanders 90+2’), Lasse Sorensen, Matty Virtue (Jordan Wright 29’). Subs (not used): Joe Walsh, TJ Eyoma, Sean Roughan.

Goals: Sorensen (12’), House (43’), Jackson (87’).

Port Vale: Aiden Stone, Aaron Donnelly, Nathan Smith, David Worrall (Rory Holden 46’), James Wilson (Ellis Harrison 46’), Tom Conlon ©, Mal Benning (Sammy Robinson 46’), Will Forrester, Matty Taylor (Gavin Massey 70’), Tom Pett, Dan Butterworth (James Plant 73’). Subs (not used): Jack Stevens, Jamie Proctor.

Goals: Taylor (31’ pen), Butterworth (33’).

Attendance: 8,290 (641 away).

Referee: David Rock.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account