Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Cheltenham Town 2 Imps 2

11 December 2021

Match Reports

Cheltenham Town 2 Imps 2

11 December 2021

Sponsored by

Ted Bishop scored a brace as the Imps picked up a point away from home versus Cheltenham Town.

Freddie Draper returned to the Imps starting line-up as Michael Appleton’s side travelled to Cheltenham’s Jonny-Rocks Stadium in Sky Bet League One action.

The first real threat of the game came within the opening 10 minutes as Conor McGrandles produced a fine strike from outside the area, only to be denied by the woodwork.

A second chance came for Lincoln with Freddie Draper winning a free-kick to the right side of the area. Chris Maguire stepped up to take the set-piece, attempting to catch out Owen Evans at his near post, but the shot-stopper got across to collect for Cheltenham.

A minute later, it was the home side who took the lead with Alfie May picking up possession in the City half allowing him to run forward and fire a low-driven shot past an outstretched Josh Griffiths.

The Imps searched for an equaliser with Lewis Fiorini playing a great ball forward finding Hakeeb Adelakun on the right side, the winger cut in on the edge of the area to beat his marker and fired a shot towards Evans’ goal which just glanced past the far post.

Cheltenham were forced to make an early change 10 minutes before the break as a struggling Chris Hussey was replaced by Lewis Freestone.

Freddie Draper started the second half well, coming up against Matthew Pollock in the corner as the Imps attacked the Town half. The 17-year-old forward looked to have won a corner for City, however, referee Tom Nield overruled his assistant to award a free-kick.

Cheltenham captain, Sean Long received the first card of the game as he saw yellow a minute before the hour mark. Nield was not happy with the defenders’ running down of the clock.

City almost levelled the score in the 62nd minute as Lewis Montsma found Adelakun deep in the Cheltenham half with a long-driven ball. The Imps number 14 showed a great touch to bring the pass down, he rounded Evans in the Town goal before having his shot blocked off the line by Freestone.

A second chance followed shortly after with Adelakun again causing problems in the home side’s goalmouth. McGrandles played a clever pass to the Imps winger who forced Evans to make a stop which won Lincoln a corner. The set-piece came to no threat for Appleton’s side.

There was action up the other end of the pitch a minute later as May ran onto a weak pass from Josh Griffiths. The City goalkeeper was forced to make up for the mistake, getting down low to prevent the forward from getting his brace.

Lincoln had their first booking of the match with Bridcutt receiving a card for a foul on Kyle Vassell in the 65th minute. This was followed by a change for City as Dan Nlundulu came on for Adelakun.

With 20 minutes remaining, Draper won another free-kick for the Imps. Maguire, taking the set-piece, saw Ted Bishop waiting on the edge of the box and played a clever pass. Receiving the ball, the City number 12 unleashed an incredible effort which flew into the top right corner to level the score!

With a spark of aggression in Appleton’s side, the Imps continued to attack Cheltenham. Left-back Cohen Bramall showed great pace down the wing to beat May. With the winger breaking free into the Town half, he was clipped by the goal scorer who then received a booking in the 71st minute.

The home side made a second change a minute after the foul with Daniel Crowley coming on for Kyle Joseph.

Following the substitute, the action resumed in a similar fashion with Lincoln continuing to attack. Draper almost gave the Imps the lead when Fiorini played a well-timed pass onto the young forward’s boot. His shot was saved by Evans but spilt into the goalmouth, Maguire was unable to get there in time though with Cheltenham quickly clearing.

With 15 minutes remaining on the clock, McGrandles received a yellow card for an off-the-ball incident. The Scottish midfielder then took the captain’s armband as Bridcutt was replaced by Lasse Sorensen three minutes later.

City goalkeeper Griffiths was forced to pull off a great driving save as Ellis Chapmen released a volley from 25 yards. The ball then fell loose with May lining up a shot, however, Bishop and Regan Poole did their defensive duties well by throwing themselves in front of the ball to prevent a shot on target.

With four minutes on the board for added time, it looked like Bishop had scored the winner as he calmly slotting the ball into the left corner of Evans' net! The goal showed great build-up play with Poole finding Nlundulu who then played across to midfielder Fiorini. The number 19 picked up an assist as his pass created Bishop's opportunity on goal.

Cheltenham's Andy Williams was booked deep into added time as the two teams came together following a collision on Lewis Montsma.

It was heartbreak at the death as with the last kick of the game, the home side scramble in an equaliser through Matty Blair inside the City box.

Attendance: 3,152 (381)

For full match stats, line-ups and on the day results check out our match centre.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account