Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match report: Imps 2 Fleetwood Town 1

14 August 2021

Sponsored by

Anthony Scully fired the Imps to victory as they celebrated the return of fans to the LNER Stadium in significant numbers with three points.

The home side had to come from behind as Danny Andrew fired the Cod Army ahead with a stunning free-kick in the first-half, but Scully struck twice in the second period to complete the turnaround.

With a crowd of 8,241 the festival atmosphere as fans were allowed to return without restrictions for the first time in 17 months was rewarded with a stirring second-half fightback.

The visitors actually had the better of the early chances, with Griffiths called into action to tip away a low shot from Shayden Morris after 15 minutes.

Scully had the best chance of the opening half after 21 minutes following some patient probing by the Imps. A good period of possession ended with Scully playing Hopper through, but the No.9’s attempt to chip Alex Cairns was unsuccessful.

The home side had their tails up and moments later Conor McGrandles sent Cohen Bramall through but there was too much power on his pass.

The visitors went ahead via a set-piece after 32 minutes. Both visiting full-backs were stood over the ball and Andrew stood up to curl an unstoppable effort into the top-right corner.

Michael Appleton made one change at the break, sending on Hakeeb Adelakun for his home debut to replace Bramall.

The Imps created the first chances of the second period, with a good move seeing Scully played through although he was squeezed out.

And Adelakun created an opportunity for himself when he cut inside the goalscorer Andrew, but his shot was straight at Cairns.

The leveller came after 68 minutes, with Edun leading the way down left before his smart ball through for Scully.

The latter timed his run to perfection and lifted a shot past the helpless Cairns.

That set up a grandstand finish at the LNER Stadium, with Bishop and Scully both having opportunities.

The decisive intervention came five minutes from time when Edun was brought down in the area by James Hill.

Scully stepped up to calmly send the ball past Cairns and ensure the Imps collected their first win of the campaign.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account