Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Morecambe V The Imps

24 March 2018

Match Reports

Match Report: Morecambe V The Imps

24 March 2018

Sponsored by

The Imps picked up another valuable point in their hunt for a playoff berth after a solid performance against Morecambe. Neither side managed to hit the net in an intriguing encounter which still leaves Danny Cowley’s men just outside the top seven with all to play for.

City fielded an unchanged line up to face The Shrimpers at the Globe Arena on a sunny but brisk afternoon in Lancashire, backed by over 500 travelling supporters. 

After an early attack for the hosts it was about the visitors who quickly took control of the game, winning their first corner within five minutes of the game getting underway. City were controlling proceedings with Morecambe not really coming to terms with the powerful presence in front of them. A very clever free kick between Neal Eardley and Jordan Williams released the latter deep into the box, his cross somehow screwed right across the face of the goal untouched before Scott Wharton was within a whisker of netting his third goal in as many games but it was somehow bundled out of play by the home defence.

Alex Woodyard and Elliott Whitehouse were winning possession back when City didn’t have it and when allied with the touch of Matt Rhead coming short for possession, The Imps’ movement at times was a real feature.

Goalscoring chances continued to be at a minimum but in terms of the pattern of play it continued to be City who was in charge. The vital touch in the box was eluding The Imps as Barry Roche in The Shrimpers’ goal cut out crosses in from wide positions, meanwhile up the other end of the field Ryan Allsop was cutting a lonely figure as he had very little to do. It took over 30 minutes before the Imps’ stopper was called into action, coming to claim looping header from ex Imps’ striker Vidaine Oliver despite being under significant pressure.

The game reverted to type as City looked positive again, a lovely ball from Eardley dropped onto the head of Rhead who spotted the onrushing Whitehouse but unfortunately it was to be a foot or so too far ahead of the midfielder and Roche was able to step in.

As half time approached, Matt Green hit a shot into the ground, which Roche was forced to save as the home side were again camped in their half with City pressing but the scores remained level at the break.

Half Time

Morecambe 0 The Imps 0

The Shrimpers came out with an added burst of energy for the start of the second half, but City were still fully switched on. Oliver tried to make a break down the Imps’ right but Michael Bostwick made a wonderful sliding challenge just as the home side looked to have the numerical advantage going forward.

Moments later, Woodyard linked with Green following a Morecambe attack and set City going, Eardley then swung in a teasing ball which Roche punched away and it just bounced away from Lee Frecklington who was shaping to shoot first time. Once again, that crucial touch in the final third just wasn’t dropping for The Imps.

Green made a purposeful run down the right flank, he fed Williams but Dean Winnard made a timely challenge, the resulting corner was curled in and Whitehouse sneaked away from his marker but could only head wide and left him with his head in his hands, it was a real chance. The travelling supporters were buoyed by the opportunity and turned up the volume to urge on their team.

The Imps continued to probe and Harry Anderson introduced from the bench was part of the next half chance, his run deep into the opposing half stretched them he laid it off to Eardley and the cross was nodded over by Whitehouse who just managed to get to the ball.

Whitehouse was getting involved further forward as the game progressed and following a deep ball to the back post by Sam Habergham, Ollie Palmer nodded down to the number 4, but his low curling effort whistled just wide.

Alex Kenyon had the first real shot of note for the home side with just under 15 minutes remaining, his low effort cannoned off Adam McGurk and almost dipped over Allsop and into the goal but it clipped the top of the bar and went over the top. It was a brief moment of danger for City who were yet to be troubled by a shot on target from their hosts. McGurk was then denied by the woodwork as his effort from a free kick some 25 yards out went past the outstretched hand of Allsop but it rattled the bar. The pace seemed to step up going into the final ten minutes as things opened up, Danny Rowe crossed for Whitehouse to try an audacious overhead kick but it looped over the angle of post and bar. 

The final effort of note in the game went the way of City, Frecklington was inches away from a spectacular winner, hitting a wonderful effort which beat Roche but also crept just wide of the far post.

Full Time

Morecambe 0 The Imps 0


1          Barry ROCHE

2          Aaron McGOWAN

3          Patrick BROUGH

4          Alex KENYON

5          Steve OLD

6          Dean WINNARD

9          Vidaine OLIVER

11       Kevin ELLISON

16       Sam LAVELLE

24       Michael ROSE

29       Callum LANG


12       Danijel NIZIC

7          Garry THOMPSON (85’ for Ellison)

8          Andrew FLEMING

10       Adam CAMPBELL

17       Mitchell LUND

21       Gregg WYLDE (66’ for Lang)

28       Adam McGURK (66’ for Oliver)

The Imps

22       Ryan ALLSOP

3          Sam HABERGHAM

4          Elliott WHITEHOUSE

6          Scott WHARTON

9          Matt RHEAD

10       Matt GREEN

14       Jordan WILLIAMS

16       Michael BOSTWICK


23       Neal EARDLEY

30       Alex WOODYARD


1          Paul FARMAN

2          Sean LONG

7          Tom PETT

8          Ollie PALMER (59’ for Rhead)

15       James WILSON

24       Danny ROWE (78’ for Green)

26       Harry ANDERSON (59’ for Williams)

Booking: Rowe 85’

Referee: Eddie Ilderton

Assistants: Anthony Moore & Barry Cropp

Attendance: 1883 (676 Imps)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account