FT: Imps 0 Guiseley 0

Stalemate at Sincil Bank forces FA Cup replay

Terry Hawkridge for the injured Nathan Arnold was the only change to the City starting line-up as the Imps' FA Cup campaign kicked off at Sincil Bank with a Fourth Round Qualifying fixture against Guiseley.

Guiseley kicked off attacking the Stacey West Stand and after a quiet opening the game came to life in the seventh minute with Hawkridge picking out Matt Rhead with a peach of a cross but his header across goal towards the onrushing Jack Muldoon was intercepted by a visiting defender.

At the other end Guiseley won the game's first corner but Bradley Wood was back to head clear and it wasn't until the 21st minute before the first effort at goal came along; Harry Anderson seeing his low skidding effort claimed by Dan Atkinson.

It took a great block by Sean Raggett in the 25th minute to keep the game goalless with the centre-back diverting a net-bound Jake Cassidy effort out for a corner which ended up with Paul Farman claiming a deflected Alex Purver shot.

Another Guiseley corner followed before City forced their first flag-kick as an Anderson cross was cleared off the head of Muldoon. Hawkridge's delivery was too strong though and the ball sailed straight out for a goal-kick.

A spell of City pressure continued as Anderson forced another corner before the Petereborough loanee had a shot blocked; appeals for handball being waved away by referee Karl Evans.

The lively Anderson had a shot blocked before Guiseley attacked and won a corner which ended up with right-back Connor Brown firing well over from range. At the other end a great run from Anderson saw him open up the Guiseley defence before Rhead had a close-range effort blocked on the line after Muldoon had helped a Habergham cross into the danger area.


Whilst the two teams emerged unchanged for the start of the second half, there was a switch amongst the officials with Fourth Official Harry Hawkins replacing the injured Sean Feerick on the line. Andrew Doughty, a member of the Club's medical team, took over the Fourth Official duties.

An early trip on Muldoon earned Rob Atkinson a 48th minute yellow card and when Hawkridge floated in the resultant ftree-kick Rhead saw his header just elude Waterfall.

An encouraging start to the second half continued with Anderson having a drive palmed away by Atkinson before Muldoon was flagged offside whilst a good break by Anderson on the hour mark saw him muscle his way past his marker before firing inches wide of the target.

A shot on the turn 25 yards out by Woodyard then flew just wide before both sides made a change; Michael Rankine for Jermaine Hylton for Guiseley and Theo Robinson for Jack Muldoon for the Imps.

In the 68th minute Rhead was taken out by Atkinson, who was already on a yellow. Referee Evans was happy to settle for just the free-kick though which was duly curled over by Habergham.

A trip on Cassidy earned Wood a 72nd minute yellow card whilst a minute later a Habergham cross was met by Rhead who saw his downward header well saved well by Atkinson.

A deflected Raggett effort then looped over Atkinson only to crash against the crossbar. The Guiseley keeper then claimed Waterfall's follow-up header before play was halted so the stopper could receive treatment.

With 10 minutes remaining Oli Johnson replaced Jordan Preston for Guiseley and shortly afterwards Anderson denied by the feet of Atkinson following a Rhead knock-down.

With the clock ticking on Rhead had a header go inches wide as the Imps came close yet again before a Robinson drive deflects out for a corner. Appeals for hand ball fall on deaf ears.

In the first of three added minutes Alan Power came on for Bradley Wood but the elusive winning goal proved elusive with a replay set to decide who takes their place in the First Round Proper.


1    Paul FARMAN
2    Bradley WOOD
7    Jack MULDOON
9    Matt RHEAD
11    Terry HAWKRIDGE
12    Harry ANDERSON
18    Lee BEEVERS
25    Sean RAGGETT
30    Alex WOODYARD

8    Alan POWER (for WOOD 90+1)
22    Jack FIXTER
24    Jack McMENEMY
27    Jamie McCOMBE
31    Theo ROBINSON (for MULDOON 66)
32    Luke ANDERSEN
23    Jimmy WALKER


17    Dan ATKINSON
2    Connor BROWN
3    Danny LOWE
6    Jake LAWLOR
8    Will HATFIELD
19    Jordan PRESTON
22    Alex PURVER
24    Simon WALTON
25    Rob ATKINSON
29    Jake CASSIDY
30    Jermaine HYLTON
9    Adam BOYES
10    Oli JOHNSON (for PRESTON 80)
11    Michael RANKINE (for HYLTON 65)
15    Ash PALMER
18    Nicky CLEE
20    Marcus WILLIAMS
12    Steve DICKINSON



REFEREE: Karl Evans
ASSISTANTS: Sean Feerick & Jonathan Burridge

ATTENDANCE: 2,629 (80 visiting supporters)