FT: Imps 0 Barrow 0

Match report...

The post-David Holdsworth era began with a home game against Barrow at The 12th Imp Sincil Bank Stadium with Grant Brown and Chris Moyses leading things from the dugout.

There was a distinct chill in the air as Barrow kicked off attacking the Stacey West Stand and the visitors were the first to press with Richie Baker finding the overlapping Danny M Rowe who saw his effort deflect behind for a corner which was cleared by Andrew Boyce.

City's response saw a cross from Alan Power, starting the game on the right, being claimed by Danny Hurst under pressure from Jamie Taylor. But it was Barrow, fresh from their midweek win over Woking, who had the brighter of the opening exchanges as they pressed for an early advantage.

A second Barrow corner came along in the eighth minute and when this was cleared a City counter-attack ended with Power drilling in a low effort which Hurst easily held. Colin Larkin then stabbed a Power centre wide as the Imps started to get into the game.

Hurst then gathered a Power free-kick after Larkin was barged in the back by James Owen whilst at the other end the recalled Paul Farman showed good hands to claim a low DM Rowe drive.

City's first corner came midway through the half and was hurriedly cleared by the Barrow defence whilst a second quickly followed and also came to nothing.

A quiet and scrappy spell ensued with efforts at goal at a premium and it wasn't until the 43rd minute when one came along with a Baker effort being cleared away by Farman with his legs.

The half ended after a minute of extra play.

HT: Imps 0 Barrow 0

Neither side made any changes during the break with the Imps restarting proceedings.

A tug on Danny L Rowe's shirt earned Scott Garner a 50th minute caution and when City cleared the resultant free-kick and broke at pace Jake Jones had a shot changed down before he went down under a challenge in the box with his appeals for a penalty waved away by referee Nick Kinseley.

With Paul Turnbull forced off for attention to his ankle a Larkin ball flew past a grounded Taylor after he collided with Efe Sodje whilst at the other other end Gavin Skelton squared for DL Rowe who was denied by a fine Farman save.

Vadaine Oliver replaced Taylor in the 57th minute and five minutes later Adam Smith came on for Mo Fofana with Alan Power moving in to a central midfield role as a result of the latter switch.

There was a break in play as the game entered its final quarter when Danny L Rowe fell heavily under a Miller challenge and when he returned he appeared to leave a foot in on the City defender but referee Kinseley spotted nothing untoward, much to the annoyance of the City bench.

Larkin had a sight of goal 17 minutes from time when he cut in from the right only to fire left-footed straight at Hurst whilst Boyce joined central defensive partner Garner in the book for a foul on Baker shortly afterwards.

Conner Robinson for Colin Larkin was the Imps' final change with eight minutes remaining whilst a third booking saw Miller see yellow for a sliding challenge on Skelton.

With time running out a foul on Oliver on the left gave the Imps a free-kick in a dangerous positon but Power's delivery was easily claimed by Hurst. Three added minutes was then indicated by the Fourth Official.

DM Rowe was booked for kicking the ball away after he was flagged for offside and as City went in search of a late winner, neither a Nicolau free-kick nor corner came up with the goods.

FT: Imps 0 Barrow 0

City: Paul Farman, Tom Miller, Andrew Boyce, Scott Garner, Nicky Nicolau, Paul Turnbull, Mamadou Fofana, Jake Jones, Alan Power, Jamie Taylor, Colin Larkin.

subs: Adam Smith (for Fofana 62), Vadaine Oliver (for Taylor 57), Dan Gray, Conner Robinson (for Larkin 82) , David Preece.

bookings: Garner (50), Boyce (77), Miller (84)

Barrow: Danny Hurst, Garry Hunter, Mike Pearson, Efe Sodje, Gavin Skelton, Richie Baker, James Owen, Alex-Ray Harvey, Paul Rutherford, Danny M Rowe, Danny L Rowe.

subs: Matt Flynn, Lee McEvilly, Tom Eckersley, Shaun Pearson, Sean McConville.

bookings: DM Rowe (90+2)

Referee: Nick Kinseley
Assistants: George Sprague & Jon Burridge
Fourth Official: Graham Kinnear

Attendance: 1,830 (54 visiting supporters)