Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

29 December 2018 Venue Abbey Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

PREVIEW : Cambridge United V The Imps

28 December 2018

Lincoln City visit Cambridge United this Saturday as the Imps look to extend their lead at the top of the SkyBet League Two table.

City go into the game off the back of their first league defeat in seven games after losing 2-1 away to Crewe Alexandra on Boxing Day.

Harry Anderson’s injury time goal wasn’t enough to haul The Imps back into the game at the Alexandra Stadium as Crewe’s Chris Porter and James Jones both found the back of the net earlier in the second half.

However, Danny Cowley’s side remained at the top of the league after the Boxing Day fixtures, with a four-point lead over MK Dons.

Recent Form

With just one win in their previous six league games, The U’s are currently facing a relegation battle with just three points keeping them afloat from the drop zone.

Colin Calderwood’s side have won six league games all season, whilst also picking up five draws from their opening 24 fixtures.

Cambridge put two past Crawley Town on Boxing Day with goals from George Maris and Jabo Ibehre.

The U’s controlled the game with 57% possession, they also made a total of 16 shots on goal, double their opponents tally on the day.

United have already faced Lincoln this season when the pair met at Sincil Bank in October. The two sides couldn’t be separated with the final score finishing at 1-1.

Matt Rhead opened the scoring after six minutes, before having his strike cancelled out by Jevani Brown five minutes later.

Last six league games: DLLDLW

League position: 22nd      

Manager’s comments

Cambridge's recently installed boss, Colin Calderwood spoke to the press ahead of this weekend's game and is hoping to build on his side's recent success against Crawley Town on Boxing Day.

“I don’t know so much about Lincoln but we’ll go away and we’ll start our preparation. 

“Mark Bonner and Pilks (Kevin Pilkington) are well versed in it so I’ve seen bits and pieces of it. 

“What they are is a winning team, they have good momentum. 

“We’ve got a long way to go but I think the important thing is the disappointment for other teams that we’ve won a game.

“I think that helps. We’ve got to be a team who, in the second half of the season, produce more points than what we’ve done in the first half and that (the win against Crawley) gives us a good start.”

Previous Meetings

Prior to this season’s 1-1 draw in October, the last time the two sides met was last season when the U’s hosted Lincoln City at Abbey Stadium in February.

The game finished goalless with both side’s sharing the point. The same result happened in the reverse fixture earlier on in the season at Sincil Bank.

Lincoln picked up three points against Cambridge in 2005 with a 2-1 win over the U’s. Simon Yeo and Gary Taylor-Fletcher scored the goals for City in front of a crowd of 4,672. The Imps also won their away fixture that season with Francis Green scoring the only goal of the game past England international, John Ruddy.

One to Watch – Jevani Brown

Despite playing for MK Dons and Peterborough United as a youngster, Jevani Brown came through the Non-League system getting his big break in 2017 with Cambridge United following interest from a number of Football League clubs.

The 24-year-old played for a number of clubs such as Barton Rovers, Kettering Town and Stamford between 2014 and 2016.

In January 2017, Brown signed for St Neots Town where he went on to score 18 goals in 17 games.

His impressive form for Town was rewarded with a trial at Championship side Birmingham City. However, the forward went on to sign a two-year deal with Cambridge United in August 2017.

Brown scored his first goal in the Football League during Cambridge’s 2-1 win over Chesterfield in October 2017. This season the forward has scored five goals in all competitions, as well as picking up seven assists in 25 games.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Cambridge United V The Imps

29 December 2018

The Imps came from behind to taste victory in a rip-roaring encounter at the Abbey Stadium and rounded out 2018 with a six-point cushion at the top of Skybet League Two.

After going behind in the first half to a Jabo Ibehre header City had to show all of their skill, determination and resilience to taste victory at the Abbey Stadium, but it was all started with a moment of pure magic from Neal Eardley. The full back curling home a free kick into the top corner was the precursor for John Akinde to net the winner in front of the jubilant travelling contingent from Lincolnshire.

The Imps went into the final game of 2018 against The U’s with two changes to the side which took to the field against Crewe on Boxing Day. Matt Rhead and Grant Smith coming into the starting eleven, with Michael O’Connor and Josh Vickers missing out, however the midfielder did have a spot on the bench.

Backed by almost 2,300 travelling supporters the Imps’ got the game underway to a wall of noise coming from behind and to the left of Grant Smith’s goal.  The Imps were in the ascendency early in the game and almost took the lead through Harry Toffolo, the left back made a fantastic burst inside the U’s box and got his shot away but David Forde raced off his line to make a stop with his legs.

Colin Calderwood’s side were looking to hit City with pace, Reggie Lambe making a pest of himself down the Imps’ right but Neal Eardley was holding firm. The visitors however, were continuing to dominate the game having the majority of possession and spending quite the period inside opposition territory.  With just over a quarter of an hour gone, Eardley played the ball into Rhead, his touch to Harry Anderson saw the City man use his pace to get the better of two U’s defenders and cross, the ball just took a nick off Harry Darling but Bruno Andrade fed Lee Frecklington who smashed a low effort that Forde had to dive to save.

There was an immediate reply from the hosts however as they won a free kick just outside the box in a central position, Paul Lewis hit the shot low and true, it took a slight deflection off the wall and Smith did very well to save with his legs deflecting the ball out of danger. Cambridge were growing into the game and hit City on the break just before the half hour mark, Jabo Ibehre won an aerial battle in the centre of the pitch heading wide to Jevani Brown who raced down the City right despite the best efforts of Tom Pett to get back, Brown putting over a pinpoint cross onto the head of Ibhere whose precise header didn’t have much purchase on it, but had the requisite placement to just beat the outstretched arm of the diving Smith.

After weathering a brief storm, the game settled somewhat with a real battle ensuing as with both sides desperate to score the second goal of the game and it was reflected by chances at both ends of the field within a minute. Anderson took on four Cambridge defenders before Frecklington took over, his ball wide to Akinde gave the striker a chance to cross which he did low and hard but it was cleared and the home side broke at pace with Lewis ending the move with a shot that clattered off the crossbar before being cleared.

Akinde and Rhead were the next to threaten the goal, as the City striking pair linked up superbly on the edge of the box with the Imps’ top scorer sidefooting a shot which looked to be heading towards goal but it was blocked as it seemed to gather pace. Andrade then rattled in a teasing cross through a sea of legs which Forde did well to grasp first time as the visitors finished the half on the front foot.

Half Time

Cambridge United 1 The Imps 0

There were no changes at the break for either side as City were now kicking towards their supporters looking for the leveller, the tempo of the game was as hot as ever and not looking likely to slow down.  Anderson’s running and effort was infectious and he continued in his attempts to drive City forward down the right but the threat shown by the home side in the opening 45 minutes was also still evident.

It was a real blood and thunder affair as both sides continued to show their commitment although chances had been at a premium, Anderson however was close to creating an opening for The Imps as a typical bursting run down the right ended with a cross that Forde had to grasp at the second attempt deep inside the box.

Akinde saw his route to goal blocked by two Cambridge defenders after Rhead won a flick on inside the U’s half before Cambridge bared their teeth in attack when David Amoo showed great skill to create the space to cross but Jason Shackell showed all his experience to get across the front of Ibehre to clear his lines and keep City in the game.

The home fans were baying for a second but were close to seeing their side pegged back as Akinde did so well to beat Brad Halliday to shoot, but the shot from the striker was off target before Anderson was brought down by Halliday giving City an opportunity to get the goal they so craved, and how they got it.

Up stepped EARDLEY to curl in the most delicious of free kicks right into the top corner of the goal from l giving Forde no chance whatsoever, as sumptuous a strike as you could ever wish for.

The Imps were now right on it, pressing forward with a renewed intensity and Anderson again was in the thick of it, using all his guile to cause all sorts of issues for the U’s defence as City were now the side looking the likely to take all three points and the third goal of the game was to go the way of the visitors within five minutes. Rhead did well to leap and win the ball in the penalty area and nod into the feet of AKINDE who somehow managed to hold off his marker, spin and get the ball beyond Forde and into the net, it was the striker’s eleventh goal of the season and just desserts for his efforts throughout the game to this point.

Despite falling behind, Cambridge were still looking dangerous as they continued to pour forward and Brown leapt highest to nod a Lambe cross just wide it left the home fans behind the City ‘keeper holding their heads in frustration as they thought it had sneaked into the corner.  The game opened up somewhat with the hosts having to search for the equaliser and after a real moment of pinball inside the City box where neither side could get control of the ball, it fell to Lambe who hit a howitzer of a shot from just inside the box and it was arrowing into the goal but Smith made the save of the game, diving to his right to save, arguably a save which was worth three points on its own.

Jake Carroll scraped the outside of the upright as he tried to repeat the feat of Eardley earlier in the game as things were deep inside what was announced as eight minutes of stoppage time and that was to be the closest the hosts came as the final whistle was met with utter jubilation from the travelling supporters, bringing a fitting end to a remarkable calendar year for The Imps.

Full Time

Cambridge United 1 The Imps 2

The Team

Cambridge United

1          David FORDE

2          Brad HALLIDAY

3          Jake CARROLL

5          Greg TAYLOR

7          David AMOO

8          Liam O’NEIL

14        Jabo IBEHRE

16        Harry DARLING

19        Reggie LAMBE

20        Jevani BROWN

22        Paul LEWIS


13        Dimitar MITOV

4          George TAFT

10        Ade AZEEZ (88’ for Brown)

11        Harrison DUNK (73’ for Amoo)

15        Emmanuel OSEDEBE (58’ for O’Neil)

17        Leon DAVIES

25        Louis JOHN

Goal: Ibhere 27’

Booking: Lambe 52’ Halliday 70’

The Imps

21        Grant SMITH

5          Jason SHACKELL

7          Tom PETT

8          Lee FRECKLINGTON

9          Matt RHEAD

11        Bruno ANDRADE

14        Harry TOFFOLO

16        Michael BOSTWICK

23        Neal EARDLEY

26        Harry ANDERSON

29        John AKINDE


24        Sam SLOCOMBE

2          Kellan GORDON (66’ for Andrade)

4          Michael O’CONNOR (62’ for Pett)

6          Scott WHARTON (86’ for Toffolo)

12        Ellis CHAPMAN

15        James WILSON

18        Bernard MENSAH

GOAL: Eardley 70’ Akinde 75’

Booking: Akinde 39’ Anderson 59’ Rhead 90’

Referee: Carl Boyeson

Assistant Referees: Gregory Read & Paul Yates

4th Official: Will Finnie

Attendance: 6, 858 (2,273 Imps’ supporters)

Advertisement block

Ticket News

Pay on the day available for Cambridge trip

26 December 2018

Ahead of our trip to face The U’s in Skybet League Two on Saturday 29th December please find the ticket and travel details for Imps’ supporters wishing to attend the fixture.

Cambridge United

Total allocation

Season Ticket Priority





General Sale

(any tickets remaining)

Postal Order Deadline

Sales Deadline

Collection Deadline

Pay on the day


Monday 10th  December


Wednesday 12th  December @7pm

Friday 14th  December  @7pm

Wednesday 19th  December

@ 23:59

Friday 28thDecember @ 12pm

Friday 28th   December @ 2pm

Yes - with a £2 price increase

Red Imps Travel 

Coaches depart @ 10:45am

Price: £15 per person

Ticket sales end: Friday 28th  December @12pm

Tickets to be collected by: Friday 28th  December @2pm

 Ticket Prices 







Senior 64+



Student (Valid NUS)






Under 18



Under 12



Under 5



Ambulant Disabled Carer



Wheelchair Disabled (Contact Cambridge Direct)




A few things to note:

  • Ambulant disabled supporters should select the age appropriate ticket and then add a carer if applicable.
  • Wheelchair disabled tickets include a carer free of charge, this must be purchase direct from Cambridge United by calling 01223 566500. Tickets cost £15 

To purchase tickets please click HERE

To purchase travel tickets please click HERE


Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account