Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Sheffield 2 Imps 2

12 October 2023

Sponsored by

City Women snapped their four game losing streak by drawing 2-2 at Sheffield FC in the FA Women’s National League Division One Midlands.

The Imps started the game on the front foot, and it was Leah Kellogg who was the busier goalkeeper early on.

Cassie Steward forced the ‘keeper into a save before Toni McHamilton struck over after Maddi Green did well to create both opportunities. 

Ella Thompson-Moulding then got on the end of a corner, sending a half-volley towards goal which Kellogg was able to deal with.

Sheffield almost scored against the run of play though with Lana Timson denying Stacey Buxton after the striker found space in the box.

As the half drew to a close City upped their pressure, and it nearly told when Leah Hardy flicked on a corner at the near post, but a deflection took her effort just over.

The Imps would not be denied from the resulting corner however with the ball falling kindly to Katie Williams in the box. 

The midfielder made no mistake in blasting home her first goal of the season.

Green almost scored a quick-fire second as she picked up a long ball forward, but her finish lacked power and Kellogg claimed comfortably.

Just before the half-time whistle City scored a second. 

A long ball out of defence dropped into the path of Toni McHamilton, and the striker produced a jaw-dropping finish to half-volley the ball past Kellogg who could only watch in awe as the ball dropped into her net.

After the break Sheffield came out with a point to prove and they provided City with a scare when Timson was forced to deny Kelly Fidler in the early stages of the second 45.

The hosts would get themselves back into the game after 51 minutes as Stacey Buxton fired high into the net after showing good feet on the edge of the box.

Just nine minutes later they were level. A free-kick from just inside the Imps’ half was inadvertently nodded on to the back post where Tilly Hallas-Potts came sliding in at the back post to convert.

Chantelle Robinson almost hit back immediately but Kellogg made a decent save to keep her side level.

Despite Sheffield’s fast start to the half, City ended it the stronger, and they came so close to hitting the front in the 86th minute, but Thompson-Moulding’s stabbed effort went inches wide.

The Imps kept pushing until the end and they dealt the hosts one last scare when Leah Hardy shot goal wards. Kellogg spilled the forward’s effort, but fortunately for her Lucy Farrow couldn’t steer the ball into the net on the rebound.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account