Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

FT: Imps 1 Bromley 0

1 April 2017

Second half Billy Knott strike secures another vital three points for City...

Harry Anderson replaced Terry Hawkridge as the Imps welcomed Bromley to Sincil Bank Stadium for their latest Vanarama National League fixture of the campaign.

A pre-match standing ovation for Squadron Leader George 'Johnny' Johnson DFM RAF (retired) as the last surviving British "Dam Buster" was introduced to the crowd ramped up the atmosphere which was once again electric as the two teams were led out on to the pitch by referee Andrew Miller.

Bromley kicked off attacking the Bridge McFarland Stand but it was the Imps who were the first to press with Nathan Arnold drilling a shot wide from 20 yards on the 30 second mark.

At the other end a long Porter throw-in was headed behind by Luke Waterfall for a Bromley corner but this ended with referee Miller spotting a foul by a visiting player and the game restarted with a free-kick to the Imps.

In the 11th minute a deep Arnold free-kick was headed wide by Sean Raggett before a Sam Habergham throw was nodded into Bromley 'keeper Ross Flitney's gloves by Waterfall.

A scrappy opening quarter came and went with neither keeper really tested; Rhead getting on the end of a Habergham cross which Flitney gathered under his bar being a rare effort on goal.

Things livened up in the 24th minute though when Lee Angol was upended in the box after Rhead and Arnold combined. Referee Miller was quick to point to the spot but Alan Power saw his low spot kick superbly kept out by Flitney who then blocked as the loose ball went goalwards.

Dan Johnson came on for a limping Ben Chorley as the half-hour mark approached and after a quiet eight minutes a facial injury to Alan Dunne forced the Bromley physio into action.

Five minutes before the break there was a yellow card for Waterfall who stood on the ball before dragging Tobi Sho-Silva to the deck midway inside the City half. Three minutes later there was a ticking off for Raggett following a foul on Porter and this neat free-kick ended with Blair Turgott rattling the woodwork from the edge of the box.

The half ended after two additional minutes with City on the offensive following a Habergham cross into the danger area.


Both teams emerged unchanged for the start of the second half and the Imps were quickly on the offensive and when Harry Anderson was scythed down by Turgott, the Bromley man picked up an early caution.

Ten minutes after the restart Angol went down under a Dunne tackle in the box and was duly booked for simulation by referee Miller who resisted the temptation to award the Imps a second penalty.

At the other end Turgott, already on a yellow, went down in the area under a Raggett challenge. No penalty was given but neither was simulation and Turgott remained on the pitch.

After City's first corner was cleared, Josh Ginnelly and Billy Knott came on for Harry Anderson and Alan Power. The change paid immediate dividends as within a minute Ginnelly and Angol combined before KNOTT swept City in front with his first touch of the ball.

Bromley rallied with a corner ending with Minshull heading well wide and in the 74th minute two more corners followed, either side of Louis Dennis replacing Shane McLoughlin.

Bradley Goldberg came on for Blair Turgott in the 79th minute and a minute later there was a yellow card for Dunne after he went in late and hard on Ginnelly, who had only just got his breath back having been winded by a Knott clearance.

Elliott Whitehouse then came on for Matt Rhead before Raggett saw yellow and a Ginnelly cross was headed wide by Whitehouse.

Midway through four additional minutes a lame Higgs effort went well wide before Farman commanded his area superbly to claim a Goldberg centre through a crowd of players.


1    Paul FARMAN
8    Alan POWER
9    Matt RHEAD
12    Sean LONG
25    Sean RAGGETT
26    Harry ANDERSON
28    Nathan ARNOLD
30    Alex WOODYARD
31    Lee ANGOL   
2    Bradley WOOD
4    Elliott WHITEHOUSE (for RHEAD 82)
10    Adam MARRIOTT
34    Billy KNOTT (for POWER 64)
36    Josh GINNELLY (for ANDERSON 64)



1    Ross FLITNEY
4    Ben CHORLEY
5    Alan DUNNE
6    Jack HOLLAND
9    George PORTER
13    Joe ANDERSON
14    Jordan HIGGS
17    Blair TURGOTT
20    Tobi SHO-SILVA
27    Shane McLOUGHLIN
3    Dan JOHNSON (for CHORLEY 29)
10    Ryan HALL
11    Louis DENNIS (for McLOUGHLIN 74)
12    Connor DYMOND
19    Bradley GOLDBERG (for TURGOTT 79)



REFEREE: Andrew Miller
ASSISTANTS: Richard Woodward & Iain Turner

ATTENDANCE: 6,843 (80 visiting supporters)

Advertisement block