Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

FT: Nuneaton 2 Imps 2

5 October 2013

Sponsored by

Match report from the Sperrin Brewery Stadium

Luke Foster for Mo Fofana was the only change for this Skrill Premier game against Nuneaton Town as the Imps looked to close the gap on their second-placed hosts.

The travelling City fans were in good voice as the teams emerged from the tunnel and once referee Darren Handley tossed up with the captains in the middle, play got underway with Nuneaton kicking off on a pitch that was certainly long in terms of grass cover.

City started brightly, putting the home defence under pressure from the off but it was Town who grabbed the lead from their first attack when, in only the third minute, a cross from their left was flicked on and there at the back post was Wesley York who headed into the net from six yards out.

The Imps didn't let this early blip affect them and came close to levelling when Andrew Boyce headed a Jon Nolan cross just wide before Nick Wright diverted an Alan Power cross wide after a spell of decent City possession.

Nuneaton's James Armson was cautioned in the 22nd minute for a late challenge on Jon Nolan with James Belshaw holding Power's delivery from the set-piece. A knock to Louis Briscoe then brought about a break in play and the Mansfield loanee looked to be in some discomfort as he was helped to the touchline.

Good persistence from Ben Tomlinson forced Belshaw into a save before the limping Briscoe was replaced by Daniel Sleath.

Referee Handley had words with Andrews Boyce and Brown following an altercation after the official had awarded Nuneaton a free-kick close to the right touchline. At the other end a trip on Todd Jordan gave the Imps a chance from a set-piece but Newton's effort sailed well over.

City's persistence eventually paid off in the 37th minute when they drew level. Nolan was the creator but the full credit has to go to scorer TOM MILLER who, after nipping in to get on the end of Nolan's forward ball, he chested forward and took another touch before drilling powerfully past Belshaw for his second of the season.

Nuneaton rallied by winning and wasting the game's first corner whilst at the other end Wright prodded a Newton cross just wide as the Imps went for the jugular again.

Two added minutes passed without further incident, although Tomlinson was called into action to replace a grounded corner flag, so it was all square going into the break.

HT: Nuneaton 1 Imps 1

Both teams emerged unchanged for the start of the second half and City were quickly out of the traps with Nolan drilling over from 25 yards just 30 seconds after the restart.

It wasn't long before the Imps were pushing forward again and when Tomlinson fed Miller down the right his deep cross was dropped by Belshaw and there to punish him was Nolan who duly drilled home in front of the noisy travelling fans.

A couple of minutes later Tomlinson nipped in and was close to getting on the end of a Streete back header. Nick Wright then won the Imps' first corner of the game with Newton's delivery ending up with a City throw-in on the opposite side.

A Nuneaton corner at the other end was cleared and saw Wright break forward before he was flagged offside after exchanging passes with Power. The hosts' response saw Armson fire well over from range.

City won another corner as Wright required treatment from physio Kev Oxby and after he was forced off, substitute Bohan Dixon's first touch saw him head Newton's flag-kick wide.

Dixon's second touch saw him clear a corner at the other end whilst another home flag-kick saw Farman emerge with the ball safely in his gloves.

Another break in play came about when Gavin Cowan pulled up with injury midway inside his own half and he was in some discomfort as he was helped to the sidelines before being replaced by Michael Richens a couple of minutes after going to ground.

With 15 minutes remaining, a couple of Miller throw-ins ended with Boyce flicking a header into Belshaw's gloves. A deflected Nolan effort then landed on the roof of the net after a Jordan strike was charged down.

A final Nuneaton change came with seven minutes remaining with Wesley York being replaced by Connor Taylor and he hadn't had chance to get his boots dirty before his side drew level; a cross from the left being met by Andy Brown who headed home from six yards out.

Newton was booked for a mistimed challenge on Taylor a minute later as the goal had clearly given the home side a boost. After Streete received attention, Fofana replaced Power in midfield before the Fourth Official indicated that a minimum of five minutes were to be added on.

Two City corners and a free-kick into the box failed to add to the scoring with the game ending with a Nuneaton goal-kick.

FT: Nuneaton 2 Imps 2

5 Andrew BOYCE
23 Nat BROWN
27 Luke FOSTER
19 Jon NOLAN
8 Alan POWER
10 Nick WRIGHT

6 Mamadou FOFANA (for POWER 90)
15 Dan GRAY
17 Bohan DIXON (for WRIGHT 63)



19 James BELSHAW
3 Amari BELL
4 Gavin COWAN
5 Gareth DEAN
25 Louis BRISCOE
7 James ARMSON
10 Andrew BROWN
9 Louis MOULT
16 Wesley YORK

17 Connor TAYLOR (for YORK 83)
23 Michael RICHENS (for COWAN 74)
15 Delroy GORDON
13 Daniel SLEATH (for BRISCOE 28)



REFEREE: Darren Handley
ASSISTANTS: Michael Hanley & Joe Johnson

ATTENDANCE: 1,634 (483 City supporters)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account